Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Price of Pre War 6 Cylinders
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dan F

USA
843 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  02:55:00  Show Profile
For those of use who someday dream of owning a pre war 6 cylinder MG... Can anyone provide any information on where prices are at? It seems like a moving target.. but we all can dream. Any pic, info or links would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  09:41:16  Show Profile

As a starting point, In 1967 I bought a decently original - if decayed - L2, MOT'd, with a Riley engine, most of the chassis mechanicals of an L1 and the mortal remains of a J2 for ú50.

The unwanted bits were disposed of. I did not record their details, sadly, since, like most young chaps, I didn't think of their future status as national monuments.

(The L2, L2023, survives and is being modified by George Eagle, so my efforts at preservation were partly in vain as it turns out.)

Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  08:45:48  Show Profile
Dad bought the NA for ú 200.00 in 1961-62 - this was considered a lot of money at the time - but it was arunning car and came with a huge pile of spares and was therefore a bargin - or thats what he told Mum anyway!

Best place to look for a guide price is the classic magazines and website - they often have features on the latest auctions which will give you a guide.

Safety Fast is also pretty good too.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  18:54:34  Show Profile
The currently advertised 6 cyclinder cars for sale include a rebuilt K2 (only 20 made) at ú120.000, a rebuilt ND ú79.000 (only 21 made) and an NA Allingham, which is stated to be one of 4 survivors out of 11, ú115.000.

Replica K3's seem to sell at about ú85/90.000 and a genuine one ....?

There was also a 4 seat NA advertised at about ú28.000.

Bob, you seem to imply L2023 is being spoilt! The "modifications" are entirely in period with an original ENV75 gearbox and a side mounted Marshall supercharger. The car was "professionally" rebuilt in about 1978, it was badly done and some of it was definately non standard!

George

Edited by - George Eagle on 11/06/2008 18:55:49
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  20:57:30  Show Profile
BEWAREà.. All that glitters is not Gold! The ND I have intimate knowledge of and can give what I believe is an honest appraisal of its condition as I have driven it. I was going to buy this car at an agreed much lower price but was later gazumped by a dealer who now wants me to buy it. I believe this car needs around ú20 - ú25 k spent on it, so it is not worth the money being asked. I also know about the other car but that is another story. That may be the asking price but what is achieved is another matter. Regardsà.. Terry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000