Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Lightweight Aero Screens
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashleycleave

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2021 :  18:14:38  Show Profile
I have a couple of aero type screens fitted to my special which are very lightweight (flimsy!). They have pressed metal side stays holding a thin clear flexible plastic.

I always thought they were homemade, but I have just come across this ad which seems to show just what I have.

Does anyone have any of these screens or come across them before please? Mine are too discoloured to reuse, and I do not think they could easily be refurbished, so if there are any new old stock ones available I would be delighted to know.

Edited by - Ashleycleave on 24/01/2021 18:15:51

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2021 :  21:09:09  Show Profile
Hi, how are you progressing with your special? Dad and I were talking about it the other day :)

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ashleycleave

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2021 :  22:26:39  Show Profile
Hi Colin,
Thanks for your reply to my post.
Not much has been happening with the car sadly, mainly due to Covid driven redundancy and having to sort out a much delayed house extension!
But I continue to look for suitable parts and photos etc. Fingers crossed 2021 will be a better year and some real progress will be made.

Edited by - Ashleycleave on 24/01/2021 22:27:19
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2021 :  05:20:58  Show Profile
Hi, fingers crossed for a much better year :)

Colin Murrell
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2021 :  07:58:09  Show Profile
I suspect, but don't know that the material no being used as medical face masks is the stuff or at least a thicker variant.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

chris Wallis

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2021 :  10:16:38  Show Profile
Hi Steve could you please give me a call on 01332 703630 with regard to your car as we are both in good company here,in the 50s/early 60s my MG TC then owned by Sid Broad competed in events in the west country along side Ashley Cleave in the Morris special,Sid later switched to a Lotus 6 but fitted the XPAG engine from the TC. Davidstow and Trengwaiten were the main hunting ground.It would be great to reunite the two cars after all these years once this pandemic is over,i am only in Derby so not far from you.

C L Wallis
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2021 :  11:04:34  Show Profile
Hi Steve . Can’t help with your aero screen enquiry but in the 1950’s my dad had a Morris 10 and he used to buy the magazine called “Motoring” . This was a Nuffield group publication and had a small competition section where there was frequent photos and write-ups of Ashley Cleve ‘s events .
You may already know of this magazine but if you can get hold of some copies I’m sure you will find reference to A C and his Morris.
Go to Top of Page

Ashleycleave

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2021 :  21:23:11  Show Profile
Hi Chris. I have pm'd you.

Hi Ray. Thanks for your suggestion. I have an issue of this zine which includes an article about my car. But I do need to watch out for other editions which may feature more.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2021 :  10:32:37  Show Profile
This makes me feel very old. On several occasions in the 60s I saw Ashley Cleave driving his car at Brighton Speed Trials. He would arrive with no trailer, up from his home in the Bristol area, win his Class and drive home again. Very impressive.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Ashleycleave

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2021 :  22:37:56  Show Profile
Hi Colin. Ashley was actually based in Callington Cornwall. So perhaps even more impressive! He also used to drive to Prescott and Shelsley and back!
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2021 :  22:54:04  Show Profile
I thought it was Callington, Cornwall :)

Colin Murrell
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2021 :  10:35:27  Show Profile
I am sure that you are both right to say the AC was based at Callintgon in Cornwall. To those of us in the South East, Bristol and Callington, Cornwall are both in the same general direction. If I had said that he came from the West Country it would have been o.k. - but I didn't.
Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2021 :  12:43:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Butchers

I am sure that you are both right to say the AC was based at Callintgon in Cornwall. To those of us in the South East, Bristol and Callington, Cornwall are both in the same general direction. If I had said that he came from the West Country it would have been o.k. - but I didn't.
Colin B.

Hi Colin,
I feel maybe I need to clarify my comment regarding "I thought it was Callington, Cornwall" and the Smiley face, as on reflection, it could be read the wrong way, especially by those who don't know my background, and most on here probably don't.
I originate from North Cornwall, not that far from Callington in fact, so this car has a special connection to myself and my Father Call it local / Cornish Pride if you like, in a car that is of interest to us (my Father and I)
The car has a "CV" registration from memory, so a Cornish registered car as well.

Growing up, I was lucky enough to have attended many MGCC North Cornwall Natters with my Father from a very young age, and many a Vintage / Old Car / Steam Rally each year...it's kind of in my blood :) along with local Sprints and Hillclimbs and Trials etc. Bluehills Easter Saturday without fail, regardless of sun, rain or snow! But, that's digressing!

There was nothing more behind my comment and smiley face than that Colin.

Best Regards
Colin

Colin Murrell

Edited by - colintf on 27/01/2021 13:05:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000