Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Indicators
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phil

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  11:23:42  Show Profile
Hi I have used the search to no avail so shall ask away.
My PB trafficators are for show only, I have fitted some indicators on the car. Can any one recommend the best solution for fitting a direction and hazard circuit. I dont know if I need hazzards for the MOT but would feel happier for having them. (I guess I may breakdown at some point)
How or which switches have been used (dash switches? or other?).
I have read a post about buying cheap flasher units, but dont understand wiring one up. (I grew up with modern electronics).
Can anyone advise please.
Phil

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2008 :  16:44:53  Show Profile
Phil,

Telephone Auto Electric Supplies on 01584 819552 and ask for their mail order catalogue. To the rear they show lots of circuit diagrams including fitting flashers and hazard lights. They have several flasher units for sale. I've used them a few times including buying the wire to make up a loom for my MG TD which they later bound for me in the correct herringbone material.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

howard r

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2008 :  22:16:14  Show Profile
Phil
My PA has flashing indicators working from the original dashboard switches. The wiring is incredibly simple;- a feed to one switch via a simple old fashioned flasher unit (as fitted to Morris Minors, '60s Midgets, etc.), a bridge wire to take this feed to the other switch and then a wire from each switch to the appropriate side indicators. If a three pin flasher unit is used, a wire can be taken from the centre terminal of the unit to a warning light on the dash. The advantages of doing it this way are 1/ No extra non-standard switches and 2/ if you turn both switches on, you have hazard lights.
It's much simpler than it sounds!

cheers,
Howard
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2008 :  23:46:37  Show Profile
Howard

What type of switches do you use for this? The milk churn type, which can be switched and left on, or the push type, which make contact when you press them, but break contact when released?

And what type of switch was "original" for the arm trafficators?

Yours in continuing ignorance

Dick Morbey
PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

howard r

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  10:58:41  Show Profile
Dick

On my car I am using the "milk churn" switches which were used for the trafficators (see page 266 in Blower).

Howard
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  12:46:05  Show Profile
After a very alarming near-miss on the M 27 with my PA, I fitted flashers in '96 and repeated the same when re-building the Cresta NB. I strongly recommend that all road-use Triple-M cars be so fitted.

I've used a Morris Minor type left/right switch mounted on the back of the dash with the lever protruding enough to reach easily and, though I've used the mid-terminal panel light option, I've also used caravan type reversing warning beepers on both my PA and the Cresta NB. This I find very helpful to remind me to turn the indicators off since I don't always glance down at the lights!! Power is taken off the "auxillary" supply in the fuse box rather than from the original trafficator circuit.

My understanding (and indeed what I've got on both cars) is that originally there were a pair of "milk-churns" for the trafficators. Mine are wired as per the original factory wiring diagrams. Mine, which are definitely original on the P Type, self return when you take your digit off the switch.

Hope that helps a bit more.
Bob Clare
Registrar
Go to Top of Page

phil

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  19:12:18  Show Profile
Thank you everyone,
I finished my interior today, so shall be on with fitting indicators and dash next.
Go to Top of Page

howard r

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  23:57:28  Show Profile
Sorry Dick. I did not realise that there were two types of milk churn switch. Mine are the sort that can be left on. Hence the ability to act as hazard lights.

Howard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000