Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Car registered before construction?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ian Grace

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2021 :  16:46:45  Show Profile
Not an M.G., but I hope this might be of interest.

I have a Minor here that was first registered 30th December 1930, but it wasn't despatched from Cowley until 8th January 1931.

The chassis number and engine numbers all match the production records, so there is no doubt that the car was built in January 1931.

So suspicion turned to the registration date on the (1945) continuation logbook. However, the registration number is NG 50 - a Norfolk number. The first car registered in Norfolk in 1931 was NG 156, so NG 50 was definitely registered before the end of 1930, so the 30th December registration date is certainly correct.

So we have a car here that was registered in Norfolk 11 days before being despatched from Cowley and the chassis wasn't even laid down until 5th January!

I am wondering if there was some advantage in registering a car before the end of the year - perhaps for tax reasons? But more significantly, it would seem that the Norfolk registration authority had the chassis AND engine number of the car before it was built!

Perhaps Morris provided this data when a car was ordered from the factory in advance, but this could not be, as engines were selected at random from the pile for fitting only when the chassis was on its way down the line.

Can anyone throw any light on this apparent conundrum?

Edited by - Ian Grace on 18/03/2021 16:47:07

Ian Grace

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2021 :  17:29:45  Show Profile
My best bet is that the registration number was allocated to the first owner on 30th December when he ordered the car, but the logbook wasn't issued to him until January, after the car had been despatched and the chassis and engine numbers were known.
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2021 :  19:33:26  Show Profile
Was it a case of early 'cherished' number, being NG 50?
So that the owner requested the number, and maybe paid a premium, and when he had the numbers gave them to the authority in order to actually register the car.
Only a thought!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2021 :  08:16:58  Show Profile
Before the DVLA, numbers were allocated at County level. It was possible to make 'personal arrangements' with staff to have specific numbers allocated. Later the DVLA spotted a missed fortune and took control over the selling.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Ralph

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2021 :  13:44:08  Show Profile
Ian,
To continue the theory of a personalised number, do you know the name of the first owner - could he or she have had the initials NG. Pity your name isn’t Nigel Grace - it would have suited you!!!!!!!!!
Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2021 :  15:06:10  Show Profile
Up to 1972 the prefix letters in the registration numbers were specified by the county of registration. The NG series were for Norfolk used from Dec 1930 to May 1935.

It would be sheer luck if Mr N.G.also lived in Norfolk and was able to oil a palm to get a special number.

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/ng.htm

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772

Edited by - Ian Bowers on 19/03/2021 15:08:00
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2021 :  15:21:56  Show Profile
All good thoughts! Another is that the dealer might have been trying to boost his end of year sales figures to impress William Morris!

I will be contacting the Norfolk Record Office who should have the original registration record and first owner's details.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000