Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA reg. JT 1274
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

houndhome

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2021 :  23:28:40  Show Profile
I had my first ride in an MG at the age of about 13 when an older school friend took me for a ride in this car.It so impressed me that I became a fan for life,bought my first MG in 1965,TC2715 which I still own,have had a couple of Midgets,and my partner owned the only MG Montego estate F700 SUY.I have always wondered what happened to the PA.In circa 1963 it was owned by Ted Hill fom Solihull and was painted green.I'm afraid that I dont know the chassis no.I believe Teds father owned a garage in Stratford on Avon and the car may have been exported to the US,but I'm not sure of this.
Does anyone know anything about the car's history or subsequent fate?

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3683 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2021 :  09:06:02  Show Profile
Good morning Bendigo

Unfortunately we have no record in the Register's database of this car having been registered with us and the reg you quote is not referred to in the factory records either.

Others may have more info about this car?

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
765 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2021 :  16:31:01  Show Profile
Hi Bendigo, the Montego Estate you have was it the one built for MG Enthusiast Magazine?

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

houndhome

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2021 :  20:58:06  Show Profile
The registration would seem to be correct for Dorset for around 1934, so do you mean that the car was re-registered or just that you can't find any record of it on the factory files? Ted's mother at the time also had an MG, a black MGA reg YAC545, but I know that when the MGA was changed to a Vauxhall VX4/90 the reg went to the Vauxhall.
John, the MG Montego Estate was not the white one built up by MG Enthusiast (I believe F40 TFU) but the only one built by Leyland in Atlantic Blue with a much better spec. i.e. close ratio gearbox, stiffer suspension and other mods. The car is described in MG Enthusiast for Feb/March 1989 and there is a photo in Safety Fast for May 1992, when we owned it. We sold it in quite rusty condition around 1998 to someone in Hartlepool who died of cancer before completing a rebuild. It then went to a Tony Hague in Yorkshire (again a photo in Safety Fast) who found the rebuild too much and sold the car on to someone in Stourport (only 14 miles from me!!) who was proceeding with the rebuild the last I heard, was due to come and see me one Sunday, didn't turn up and I haven't heard from him since. I have photos of both cars but not sure how to attach them to this posting.
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2021 :  21:30:23  Show Profile
From the FAQ section at the top of the page
How to post an image
When you either start a new topic or reply to a thread (use the "Reply to topic" icon not the quick reply) and when you are ready to add an image, click on the paperclip icon. You will be presented with a popup box which will enable you to upload an image from your computer. Click "Browse" and select the name of the file containing the image you want to post. The file must be smaller than 5Mb and must be in jpg or jpeg format. Click the "Attach File" button and image will be uploaded and then inserted into your post (you will have to preview or post to see the actual image). You can reuse that image in another post without uploading it again.

HTH, any problems just ask.

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3683 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2021 :  09:58:33  Show Profile
Hello Bendigo,
The factory records will generally only show the cars original registration if it was handled on behalf of the first owner by the MG car company. The first registrations of cars that were supplied through dealers would typically be handled by those dealers and therefore the Reg would have remained undetected unless the car happened to return back to the factory for corrective work.

It may be that your car falls into that category? Just a theory.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

houndhome

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2021 :  20:21:25  Show Profile
If my attachment works here is JT 1274 in Solihull circa 1962/63

Go to Top of Page

houndhome

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2021 :  20:25:49  Show Profile
And the only factory MG Montego Estate (although the reg document says Austin.)Peter Gregory wanted to buy it about an hour after we agreed the deal.

Edited by - mgmog on 17/03/2021 20:53:59
Go to Top of Page

houndhome

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2021 :  20:30:02  Show Profile
Whoops 90 degrees out,more of Montego ,will probably also be the same !!

Edited by - mgmog on 17/03/2021 20:53:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000