Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M Type Rattly Remote.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2004 :  17:46:53  Show Profile
Ok, I have a remote gearchange on my M Type and the linkage rattles like mad. Could anyone offer advice on curing this?

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2004 :  20:27:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TomDrewett

Ok, I have a remote gearchange on my M Type and the linkage rattles like mad. Could anyone offer advice on curing this?

Depends on the type of gearbox/remote. If its the 4 speed Wolseley-type eg ex-J2, P-type, etc, there was a Works modification (I believe) to cure this annoying problem involving fitting a stiffish compression spring on the lower part of the gear lever (the bit under the turret). There is a Works Info Leaflet on this. I have seen some cases where there is no spring at all, and some with a spring in place which is either broken or too weak. If you have a spring in place, try something a bit heavier. I had one case where the socket in the turret was excessively worn and corrected the problem by machining a bit of the bottom of the turret. The other area where 'slop' leads to rattle and in extreme cases a rather vague gear-change and that is where the small ball at the bottom of the gear stick locates into a corresponding socket. I have often thought of bushing the socket with something like PTFE but never tried. I imagine it would give a really precise gear selection, but a degree of slop is probably not a bad thing. The trouble with any rattles or buzzes is that as soon as you become aware of them you tend to concentrate on them! Good Luck! (You could always try earplugs!)PS If it's any other type of 4-speed box, I don't know the answer to your question.

Edited by - kimber on 20/07/2004 21:15:19
Go to Top of Page

gb

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2004 :  14:52:49  Show Profile
Hi Tom,

Is it the one I fitted to GN4297?, if so Barry Foster offered the fix, which I thought had gone with the car?, however I will try and find the artical in the Octagon mag which concluded the fix.

PS if it's the 4 speed remote, you may need to contact BF for his input!

Regards
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2004 :  09:57:06  Show Profile
I have easily overcome this problem on my J2 's Wolseley 4 box. I dissambled the whole remote, cleaned throughout and followed Factory Instruction Sheet. My car, N? 2195, had not been modified... I obtained the spring from Sports & Vintage and added a washer for stiffer spring action. No more gear lever rattling !
Sincerely,
Christan Cottes
Go to Top of Page

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2004 :  18:07:53  Show Profile
Thanks for your respective replies, It is the one fitted to GN4297, and in fact I have discovered (was told!) at Silverstone this weekend that the spring is not stiff enough, I am sourcing a stronger spring.

Incidentally to others it is a Derrington D Type remote.

thanks

Tom
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3114 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  11:39:47  Show Profile
Has anyone worked out exactly which part of a 3 or 4-speed remote is the source of the rattle?

Is it true to say that this problem happens with (1) the MG D-type 3-speed remote and (2) the Derrington 3-speed remote as well as (3&4) the 4-speed gearbox remotes for the Wolseley and J2?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  16:38:52  Show Profile
Some may say it's a botch but in addition to the strong spring modification I surrounded the ball and socket at the bottom of the gear leaver with silicone rubber. Don't know how long it will last but the feel of the gear shift is superb.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000