Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Lucas Distributor
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

William Cullen

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  17:19:06  Show Profile
Hi All

I have a distributor type DX6A40110B/C43950 it has been fitted to a "N" engine and is the correct rotation,however the base plate inside holding the advance weights is stamped 10 degree is this the correct advance for a "N" type?

Thanks

Bill

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  23:46:46  Show Profile
Hi Bill,

Since no-one has yet responded to you I will do my best. I have lots of experience with big-cam fours, but have never done very much with sixes. Therefore I cannot judge whether you have the right distributor, but if you are confident of that then the total advance marked on your parts is correct.

Lucas marked their distributors with the angular total advance allowed by the distributor geometry. The distributor runs at half engine speed so 10 deg at distributor equals 20 deg at the crankshaft, which is the "book" figure. Whether the advance starts at the right rpm and is complete by the right rpm is another matter. This is decided by the springs and weights in the device. These are parts which are frequently either badly worn or the wrong ones used, and while they do make quite a difference to the behaviour of the engine their importance is often discounted.

So, yes your distributor has the correct built-in advance, but how it provides it may or may not be correct. The design intention for our engines was a simple linear advance from the static setting at 2000 rpm or less to full advance (static plus 20 deg crank) at 4000 rpm or more. There are still people around who can check these simple mechanical systems, but I do not know one near you.

Over to you,

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
881 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  09:31:29  Show Profile
Bill,
my old LUCAS catalogue tells, that your DX6A distributor is from 1937-38, and was used for example in a Vauxhall 14/6 or in a Bedford Van or Truck.
The distributor used for the N-type was the DQH6A, and distinguishes mainly from outside in so far, that the H.T.-cables enters the cover from the side, whereas on your DX6A the cables come in vertical.

But as the original N-type distributor is difficult to find, and your model obviously has similar specifications and does the job alright, you have all the time, to keep eyes open on autojumbles.

Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

William Cullen

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  12:35:27  Show Profile
Thanks Andrew & Gerhard

When the distributor was fitted it was felt that the engine was not reaching suitable rev's however as I have 2 mag's I have fitted one of these and the engine runs fine @ rev's ok which made me look at the distributor to see if anything was wrong but could not see any fault with it, hence my question with regard to the advance etc and if it was the corrrect one for the engine.

Thanks again.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  14:49:06  Show Profile
Just a thought, is the rotation of the distributor correct for a Triple-M engine? If not the centrifugal advance will not work.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000