Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 NGK plugs and blow off valve
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Johnball

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  22:38:43  Show Profile
I did on my earlier posts say I would ask some silly questions as a new boy to Prewar MG’s.

I have some new NGK B7HS plugs that out of the box are gapped at 025, but I believe from what I have read they should be near 018-020 ?

Also on the blow off valve, I can see a slight gap at the bottom through the round exit hole. Is this correct of is it slightly jammed. I ask the question as car hard to start when cold and even harder when hot after I have stalled it !!! Would it be sucking in air rather than from carb via supercharger, being a long tract.

Slowly getting car road ready, have installed indicators and electric cooling fan.

Next job is to look at cable brakes !!

Edited by - Johnball on 01/06/2021 22:40:26

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6168 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2021 :  06:22:54  Show Profile
John,
It’s always worth searching the Forum for topics like this which, unsurpringly, have cropped up before. See https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=14657&SearchTerms=Plug,gap,coil

(Remember to check the 'Archived' Posts' box.)

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Tim Luffingham

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2021 :  07:11:42  Show Profile
John - it was good to meet you last weekend at a friends get together.

Simon's thread is a good one. I also use NGK B7HS on a supercharged engine - gap .025 in.

Regarding your starting issues do you have a Ki-gas pump fitted? It's a long way from the front mounted carb and blower to the combustion chamber and I know of others who have difficulty starting from cold without one.

The blow off valve should be airtight and only open to relieve excess pressure. If you think it is incorrectly set then I'd suggest trying to seal it with masking tape and observe when starting and / or engine running.

As discussed I'll try to visit you in the next week or two. Do drop me a line on timluffingham@gmail.com

Very best

Tim
Go to Top of Page

Johnball

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2021 :  11:02:17  Show Profile
Simon, thanks for the reminder to look at old posts. There certainly seems to be several opinions. I guess I will try the different gaps, but a bit worried about my head threads as they seem very soft compared to my XK and Healey. So am being very cautious about not tightening too much !

Tim, yes it was great to meet up with someone who is local to me. Looking forward to meeting up here any time you are available. I now have a feeling that maybe the starting problem could be air going in via blow off. So, next Minor job of the many on this relatively new car to me is to examine it, but will try the tape as suggested. You have my mobile so will leave to you to call me for dates.
Go to Top of Page

Johnball

United Kingdom
98 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2021 :  20:38:24  Show Profile
Blow off valve looked quite sooted up, so cleaned and put back together.

Interesting, that when I tried 20K ohm setting on multi meter with all the plugs I took out,
5 plugs gave 0.00 and 1 plug gave 1, showing a short. But car seemed to run ok.
As a precaution, have put in 6 new plugs.

Tim, forgot to answer your question about Ki-Gas. Yes it does have the large version as fitted to the Spitfire and Centurion Tank !! I have been told to be careful as can flood engine fairly easily. I had the whole thing apart a few weeks ago and put in new graphite string, then discovered that the two jet holes on the manifold were totally blocked.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000