Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 parts for sale
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2021 :  17:29:40  Show Profile
Could I make a plea for people not to just post "I have sent you a message" type posts on the parts for sale forum without saying what they are about. Potential buyers need to know whether it is worthwhile trying to buy something without actually knowing whether or not it is still available. This is a particular problem when multiple items are offered but can also be cause difficulties with just one item as potential buyers do not know whether the "I have sent you a message" is an attempt to buy or or is on another topic else entirely such as a clarification about the part. In particular if a number of identical items are offered interested parties need to know how many are left. The present offer of a number of grub screws is a case in point.
Ian Thomson

rapide

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2021 :  18:27:18  Show Profile
I don't think for one moment I will be shouting "grubs up " for a lifetime . there are plenty to go around . about 450 left!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2165 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2021 :  10:32:01  Show Profile
Ian raises a perfectly valid point here.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2021 :  10:32:53  Show Profile
I didn't mean to pick on you in particular rapide. This was just a convenient example of what I had been observing for some time. It does illustrate the problem, however imperfectly, as we are left not knowing whether someone has bought the lot. It can happen as the items offered on this forum are by their nature extremely rare and could be tempting for some to corner the market. That is not my main point, however. I just feel that having all transactions in the open helps us to decide whether to bid or not. Remember the seller is not at fault in this regard.
Ian
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3392 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2021 :  12:34:45  Show Profile
With a single item (or one from a number of different items) the answer is to mark it SOLD. In case anyone is not aware, the person who created the topic can edit it by clicking on the icon that shows a pencil in the corner of a piece of paper.
With many items the same (grub screws a good example) it would be easy to edit the number available when a significant number of them have been sold or only a few are left.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2021 :  13:34:30  Show Profile
Just a thought; would it be helpful to have two folders, one for items not yet sold and one for sold items?

My reasoning is that if an item is not sold quickly it ends up in a thicket of sold items and unless a buyer hacks through that thicket they may miss something that is still for sale.
Go to Top of Page

Ktype

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2021 :  15:08:21  Show Profile
As at Christmas you can dare to say what you think...

The best and only fair way to accept the offer of something for sale is on the forum. It is transparent to us all and time stamps who was first.

A happy Christmas and a constructive, collegiate and supportive New Year on the forum to us all.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3392 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2021 :  12:15:26  Show Profile
Nigel
I could easily add another forum and move sold items to it or I could simply delete them. Of course and such such system relies completely on the seller marking them sold.
What does everyone think?

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3392 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2021 :  12:16:23  Show Profile
A Merry Christmas to you all
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2021 :  12:42:59  Show Profile
I don't think asking you to do any more work is the way to go Nick. Simply having potential buyers letting the rest of us know what is going on will suffice.
Ian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000