Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Tripple M values
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2008 :  09:16:53  Show Profile
Unless you are lucky enough to own a K type it seems to me that most 4 cylinder T MMM are worth more in bits than as complete cars! Brake a nice PA or PB and it would seem that you would sell all the bits for considerabley more money. Dose this not present a danger? A Danger that some of the less scruplas traders or indevidules might just start going down this track? It would seem that these little cars are wofully undervalued, or am i just dreaming?

Rodney

Trevor Barnard

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2008 :  11:15:29  Show Profile
I agree with you Rodney. I've been buying a few bits & pieces during the restoration of my PA. It seems that it would certainly be cheaper to buy another car!

Trevor Barnard
1935 MG PA 2 Seater
SO 5277
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2008 :  14:55:51  Show Profile
I became involved in a similar topic a few months ago when I raised the issue of the age of MMM owners. Maybe I am wrong but there just doesn't appear to a wide scale interest in any make of old car with the younger generation. Reducing demand demand for old MGs equates to lower prices. I don't know if it's the nostalga factor - it's 1960s cars with the younger generation or perhaps the inexpensive MX5s and even MGFs that have flooded the market.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2008 :  09:37:51  Show Profile
Well Jan, I don't entirely agree with that statment, try to buy a Reily Imp, same age, not so meny made, perhaps better put together, maybe! You will see them advertised at ú60k plus and they are snapped up.I wish I had bought one of these instead of a wreck of a PA and spent inexcess of ú40k putting it back together. Look through Classic car adds and its always the 4 cylinder MG that are the cheepest.
Rodney
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2008 :  19:44:31  Show Profile
Who cares about values? I don't! I have probably spent more on my PB over the last 8 or 9 years than I paid for it as a supposedly excellent condition car - and I probably overpaid for it in the first place. However, money can't buy the pleasure I get from driving this little car and tinkering with it. With the engine rebuild (new crank, rods, shell bearings and shell bearing centre main) and mods to rear axle (Bob Grunau tapered half shafts, Roger Furneaux bearing carrier nuts, improved pinion seal)the car is 100% reliable (touching wood!) and will take me anywhere. I will never sell it (nor my J2 or TC) and the cars will be passed down within the family when I eventually give up driving in about 40 years time when I am 102 ha, ha!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  09:11:47  Show Profile

For those who think that MMM four-cylinder cars are too cheap, see the '31 M-type at 23,000 Euros on www.prewarcar.com.

I was foolish, it seems, to refuse the vintage 'M' offered to me for ú20,000 at Silverstone. Apart from the price, it would have been ideal.

Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  11:59:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Stringfield

For those who think that MMM four-cylinder cars are too cheap, see the '31 M-type at 23,000 Euros on www.prewarcar.com.

Euros 32,000. You were understating your case my friend.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  16:39:27  Show Profile
I reckon all Triple-M cars are appreciating, especially the 6 cyclinder cars.

There have been some expensively priced 4 cyclinder Triple-M cars recently advertised and they all seem to sell overtime. Early last year I sold a very nice PA on behalf of the widow of a friend and I thought the price achieved, as the late owner had valued it, was good. The car went abroad and has very recently changed hands for a lot more than the original sale price. I think a lot of cars will go abroad due to the current poor value of the pound against the Euro and the Dollar.

As Rodney has pointed out the K types achieve the highest prices. One very original K2 requiring a total rebuild went to the USA for good money, and I believe another K2 went to Europe for ú120,000!

However, I agree with John James in that the cars are fun to both drive and work on and most of us in the Triple-M community have owned a Triple-M car for ever - including me! I know of several owners who bought a Triple-M as every day transport when they were students and have kept them ever since. In about 1958 I bought a road going PA from S H Richardson for ú70, it was my everyday transport and lived outside on the streets of Putney. I only sold it as I was returning to East Africa in 1961. When I returned to the UK I purchased another PA in 1965 for ú90.

Ownership has also brought me into contact with a lot of long term Triple-M friends.

George Eagle
NA0960 and L2023
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  00:01:36  Show Profile
George, I quote you as having sais "current poor value of the pound against the Euro and the Dollar".

I beg to differ. Being a Triple-M enthusiast here in the US, we have virtually no source of parts outside of the UK. And to order items from the UK, regardless of how much I like Mike Dowley, is downright painful. Our US Triple-M cars are worth half the value of the UK, but parts are twice as expensive. All this due to the strength of the Pound against the dollar.

All this is great fun, but "poor value"? I don't think so.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  09:09:40  Show Profile
Lew, I suggest you check todays exchange rate !!!! Rich
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  12:50:49  Show Profile
Wow! I hadn't been watching closely enough. It's been a couple of years since it was that low.

Cheers,

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  13:12:40  Show Profile
Hi Lew

The pound has fallen below $1.80 today!!

George
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  13:55:14  Show Profile
Our very stupid chancellor with his big mouth just cost me 65 euros! should have bought them last week before he opened his mouth!!

Rodney
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000