Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 Steering Wheel Restoration
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary K

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  12:54:58  Show Profile
I currently have a four spoke 16 and a three spoke 17 inch steering wheel for my J2. They both need restoration. Who is currently restoring them for the members of the forum. I would consider a trade of one of the wheels for the work.

Gary

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2008 :  20:12:24  Show Profile
Try Ben Cordsen in Colorado. He did a superb restoration job on a friend of mine's TC steering wheel.

I am publishing a fully illustrated article by Ben on steering wheels in September's "Totally T-Type".

(Totally T-Type is the bi-monthly magazine of the 'T'Register of the MG Car Club)
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  13:03:37  Show Profile
I restored my own with excellent results. The technique was to build up the rim and spokes to a suitable thickness (my wife is a "quilter" and I used the thin sheet wadding she was using and bound it with a porous tape) and laid small diameter cord at the end of the spokes near the wheel centre to emulate the original look. I then thoroughly saturated my building-up with fibreglass resin. After it had hardened I rubbed down the rim and spokes and sprayed them with a two-pack filler followed by black acrylic lacquer.
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  16:10:51  Show Profile
When I restored the wheel on my PB I replaced the black sleeve that goes around the top end of the spokes with black shrink sleeve. This makes an excellent replacement for the ? celluloid and remains flexible. Most electrical suppliers will carry it in stock.
Gordon

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Trevor Barnard

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  20:11:08  Show Profile
Interesting! I have a 4 spoke Brooklands steering wheel that needs restoring. I've seen packs advertised but in cream or black which I don't think will suit mine. Any ideas chaps?

Trevor Barnard
1935 MG PA 2 Seater
SO 5277
Go to Top of Page

Gary K

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  00:31:42  Show Profile
Thank You for your responses on the steering wheel restoration. I have seen some photos of Ben's wheels. I have sent the two wheels to him.

Gary
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000