Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Leaf spring maintenance
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  22:00:50  Show Profile
Went for a test run in the PB this morning, the first time the car has been used on the road for 45 years, the engine ran well but the ride was very, very hard, after slacking off the shocks, found the springs are not springing, .......so how should one go about greasing the springs?
Do they need taking off the car and dismanted? any advice would be most welcome.

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  11:36:01  Show Profile
This has been covered before - but sounds like all you need to do is let off the dampers and then lubricate the springs using a mixture of grease and diesel.

The mixture needs to be applied with a stiff brush over all surfaces of the springs with the car jacked up and the axles hanging (axle stands under the chassis rather than the axles).

Allow the mixture to dry and then re-set the dampers (see Blower) prior to dropping the car back onto its wheels.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  16:02:25  Show Profile
If you want an effective way to keep out road muck after lubricating as per Davi's reply I suggest you do what I have done and that is to wrap the springs in Denso tape. I have used this for years and find it works very well and is not expensive.
regards
Gordon

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  20:52:12  Show Profile
Thanks David & Gordon.
The spring have been painted at some stage, should the paint be removed before the desil & grease mixture is applied?
Denso tape sounds a good idear.
Go to Top of Page

William Cullen

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  21:37:12  Show Profile
Hi

I have a tool produced pre war which consists of 2 tapers set in a clamp when you screw in the tapers they open the spring leaves and at the end of the taper screw is a grease nipple and you then just pump in your grease mixture.

Should you wish to borrow this and are prepared to pay for the Postage I would send it to you.It makes the job so easy.

best regards

Bill

Bill
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  11:11:44  Show Profile
you can buy a chain lubricating oil in spray form from motorbike shops and agricultural suppliers which is very very effective and so easy to apply. Rich. p.s check out the "search" engine for more info
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  14:40:23  Show Profile
Thanks for the offer Bill, let me have a go with the diesel and grease mixture first, if it's not succesfull I will get back to you.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1565 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  20:28:21  Show Profile
Keith, all,
My pennyworth:
Suspension was not my fort? as an automotive product design and development engineer, but I suggest that a significant disadvantage with multi-leaf springs was the inconsistency of the inter-leaf friction as the spring flexed.
My old boss has significant experience with pre-war Bentleys and advises that to get consistent performance from a multi-leaf spring each of the leaves should be cleaned and polished in the areas where they touch, and then be re-assembled with each mating surface well greased.
Leather gaiters, cord binding or Denso Tape binding were a protection to prevent the inter-leaf lubrication from being contaminated with road-water/grit.
A modern æopen gearÆ grease such as Molyslip OGL is an MoS2, graphite, plus extreme pressure additives grease and claimed to be completely water resistant, so should do the same. IÆm using it extensively for springs, trunnions, king pin lubrication, and to lubricate any stainless steel fasteners to prevent ægallingÆ.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:56:56  Show Profile
To add my three pence worth,

I had some original springs on my P type many years ago. From what I have seen and learnt over the years I am now doing the following.

1 The ends are tapered (as original), not cut off straight at the ends, the replacements are straight. This can wear the leaf above and cause a ridge and stress area. By smoothing this off, there is less likely hood of setting up a straight stress area.

2 The springs are also polished and the ôshaleö from the production polishes away.

3 The springs are them assembled and tapered in section so that more of the spring areas are in sliding contact with one another.

4 Finally they are lubricated as Bruce suggested and then wrapped with Denso. By the way I have found Denso in the larger B&QÆs.

Quite a lot of work but I thing it is worth it. Hope this helps(?) à..regardsàà Terry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000