Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Vertical Drive Forks
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AidanC

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  00:43:26  Show Profile
Hello, A question has arisen about the deep and shallow vertical drive forks and whether there are two different styles of flex plates...any information would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Aidan

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  10:02:53  Show Profile
Aidan,

I thought long / short forks were available to accommodate a cylinder head surface grind. I trued up the faces of my forks using the dynamo armature and vertical drive pinion as mandrels in a lathe and set them so the bosses on the flexiplate just fitted between the faces. The only problem I had was an oil leak from the head despite fitting a lip seal. Eventually found oil was passing down the key way. A spot of silicone sealant solved yhis though.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  18:25:51  Show Profile
Aidan,
From practical experience I am sure that the decision, if to use a shallow or a deep fork, is not really depending on the relative small amount of thickness which is necessary to remove for rising the compression. It is more depending on the type and make of the vertical-drive shaft, and of the condition of the shaft in the dynamo.

I always only use the shallow type as they seem to be stronger, and it is no problem to add a quarter inch shim or two to the flexible plate, if the distance between the forks is to great.
You even could use two flexible plates if you want.

Concerning the flexible plates, I only know of one type, except the fact, that the old pre war plates were long-life, because they used a much better quality of spring-steel.

The most important task when connecting the dynamo to the vertical-drive, is to make absolutely sure, that the dynamo is centric to the vertical-drive, as running vibrations will ruin the dynamo bearings, the vertical-drive bearings, oil seals and the flexible plate.

Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

AidanC

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  01:08:39  Show Profile
Jan and Gerhard, Thank you for your responses...this all came up when a friend was setting up his PA, and to get a complete mesh of the bevel gears, he ended up with the space in the forks, but he has the shallow forks..in my PB bits, also shallow forks, there was a rubberized coupling(like a steering coupling), about 3/8ths thick, which was obviously a home remedy. Another NB friend has the deep forks, correct flex plate and it meshes perfectly with no spacers...I didnt realize there could be that much variation and also that there might be differences in vertical shafts. Thank you again for your input. Aidan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000