Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Perfection in every proportion
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6152 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2022 :  19:52:41  Show Profile
Thanks to Digby for another brill Bulletin and who can possibly disagree with the strap line on the back cover?

Simon J
J3437

Foz

United Kingdom
773 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2022 :  20:26:59  Show Profile
Hi Simon et al.... wonderful and graced with C-type wing stays lower front and rear, C-type glass windscreen , late M front wing stays .... its what MG Car Co did! mixed and matched to great result and probably has a late D-type chassis under it rather than invest in something new until public approval....... my 18/80 has a one off preproduction Mk 2 chassis but with Mk 1 number, bulkhead and fittings, cylinder block like no other and has Mk3 head and ignition but fitted like a Mk2...... Don't forget Q-types had reworked K3 chassis rails even with the holes for a 6 cylinder length of engine welded up! Nothing got wasted at Abingdon.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6152 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2022 :  20:53:26  Show Profile
As I recall, it also had Luvax front shock absorbers. A myriad of little differences from the production car (note the leather strap securing the spare wheel which I’d never noticed before) but they basically got it right first time and the style has stood the test of time. (Not that I’m biased, you understand )

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2560 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2022 :  21:38:36  Show Profile
Definitely bare ali fins on the rear drums Simon, not so sure about the fronts though.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6152 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2022 :  22:03:52  Show Profile
I was going to mention that, Dave, but then decided to keep my head down! But since you’ve raised it

Actually, this car always seemed to have the bare alloy fins on the rear drums, but painted ones on the front. My Dad kept this advertisement showing the same.

Likewise, when it was road tested by The Autocar

And when used by JWT himself as his company car.

And it still had them by the time the car got a new party frock with swept wings

But as for other cars …..

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 30/03/2022 22:06:23
Go to Top of Page

mike.g

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2022 :  23:59:56  Show Profile
JWT's car seems to have the horn used on the unblown C Types ?

Mike G.

m.j.gooch
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6152 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2022 :  08:03:28  Show Profile
Like this, Mike, on the front valance?

I think it’s just reflection on the valance of the J2.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

mike.g

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2022 :  12:15:10  Show Profile
Yes that is the one.

Mike G.

m.j.gooch
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3111 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2022 :  08:57:05  Show Profile

It is hard to fault the J2, so much so that I wonder, can anyone advise on the best way to set about converting a J1 into a J2 ?

I know the idea will outrage the purists but I would plan to make up for it by converting my J2 into a J1. Can anyone advise on how to set about converting a J2 into a J1?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1578 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2022 :  09:42:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sam christie

It is hard to fault the J2, so much so that I wonder, can anyone advise on the best way to set about converting a J1 into a J2 ?

I know the idea will outrage the purists but I would plan to make up for it by converting my J2 into a J1. Can anyone advise on how to set about converting a J2 into a J1? Sam

I suppose this is a pre-noon April 1st proposal ..... you can't fool 'em all.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1729 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2022 :  09:44:27  Show Profile
Take the memory pills lie down and dream. If your J2 was a J1 and your Ji was a J2 (unlikely)
then go for it.

On the other hand buy Steve Baker's J salonette, let me have the odd salonette bit, turn that into a J2 and give the body to whoever bought the topless F salonette recently. The Fs were much better proportioned cars, I always thought... bonnets to die for...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3111 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2022 :  12:32:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Sutherland

quote:
Originally posted by sam christie

I know the idea will outrage the purists but I would plan to make up for it by converting my J2 into a J1. Can anyone advise on how to set about converting a J2 into a J1? Sam

I suppose this is a pre-noon April 1st proposal ..... you can't fool 'em all.

Bruce. (PB0564)

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1578 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2022 :  20:06:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Sutherland

A disappointing show of 'April Fools' - must try harder next year ...!!!... but thanks Sam

Bruce. (PB0564)

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000