Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Hide size
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tink

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2022 :  17:32:11  Show Profile
Would anyone be able to advise me as to wether I will need a whole hide or a half hide to be able to recover my J2 seat squabs and back support
Thanks in anticipation
Pete Tincknell

pete tincknell

rapide

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2022 :  18:38:26  Show Profile
Depends on size of hide .A large hide could be as much as 60Sq ft . Generally an average large hide would be about 50/55 sq ft and would be sufficient to do what you describe comfortably.

You may get away with a half large hide but it could be necessary to end up taking sections from different areas which ,depending on the variation of grain in the interest of continuity may prove challenging. i.e. it is better to choose an area which will give the necessary sections without blemishes which may need to be avoided , depending on how fussy you are . most popular hides these days have an artificial embossed grain which often hides blemishes and increases yield and nowadays there is not the issue with barbed wire scars, damage from burrowing warble fly etc . Gone are the days when you could go down to Connolly bros in Wimbledon and choose your hides . Now it seems its whatever comes first ,removed from giant rolls like toilet paper!
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2022 :  19:25:57  Show Profile
Pete, I just read about these people

https://www.bridgeofweirleather.com/

who were founded in about 1906 and are still in the same family. Whether they would deal with you as a private customer I don't know, but they might be another iron in the fire when you actually come to buy.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
446 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2022 :  20:34:52  Show Profile
Peter, to give you an idea, I have recently had a pair of bucket seats reupholstered in leather using 1 hide for the backs & cushions. The seat rear backs to the base are in matt black PVC as near to leather look as possible. They are fine. good luck, Nick.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
640 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2022 :  21:21:35  Show Profile
I am a big fan of Midgley in Cheddar, I've also heard people talk well aboout Martrim in Sandbach. My advice is to request samples, not all leathers are the same. When I trimmed my M Type, I had 13 different samples of black leather to choose from. Only one stood out as being the right choice...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
731 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2022 :  21:53:18  Show Profile
I used bridge of weir leather for any years, excellent quality and price, then a few years ago the price seemed to double overnight. No longer good value in my opinion, but no doubt the quality will still be there.
Garry
Go to Top of Page

MmmGee

United Kingdom
142 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2022 :  08:48:02  Show Profile
I bought my hides for my A7 from Southbound Trimmers in Stockbridge Hants. Good quality and a good price at the time, about 5 years ago!. They mainly trim Porche's but sell leather to anyone. They also 'shave' leather down to about 1mm if you need it to wrap anything, dashboards, door pillars etc.

MmmGee
Go to Top of Page

tink

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2022 :  19:10:25  Show Profile
Many thanks all of you for the advice

pete tincknell
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1988 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2022 :  20:55:46  Show Profile
A great example of hide and seek?
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2022 :  18:11:32  Show Profile
Hi Pete,
As a trimmer/upholsterer, I would always buy a full hide to be sure. then you can always sell on what's left after the job.
J2 seats may look small but remember how much is lost in the width of the pleats and seam allowance ie: the leather is far wider than the finished job.
In my experience, as a cowhide varies from 42 Sq'ft' to 55 Sq'ft then half hides also vary widely, cause headaches for the trimmer and are never big enough.
In my mind, half hides are for small craft jobs, not car upholstery.

Kind Rgrds James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000