Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 The Triple–M Register Bulletin
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

merlinart

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2022 :  09:17:23  Show Profile
Definitely paper only please.
How many are printed?

How much does printing cost?

How much is postage?

Why don't we just pay a little more, or perhaps a few contribute a larger lump sum in each person?

raise advertising costs slightly

I would be up for the latter.

regards

Arthur
Go to Top of Page

merlinart

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2022 :  09:18:11  Show Profile
I meant I would be up to making a lump sum contribution.

Arthur
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6205 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2022 :  10:46:08  Show Profile
Regarding reading the digital version, while I’m sure that reading it on a regular computer screen is less than ideal, I personally find it very comfortable to read on my iPad. Save the pdf file in Books and it’s an almost perfect fit to the screen. I find it every bit as good as the paper version which, to be honest, goes in the recycling once read as I know that in due course I can have the digital version instantly to hand. YMMV! (Oops, sorry, Bruce )

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2022 :  11:40:43  Show Profile
Guys

I am a printed copy voter in this regard.

I do understand the environmental arguments for the digital copy but understand that there is no other cost difference between preparing the digital or printed copy, or am I incorrect?

As noted above the VSCC newsletter is available in both formats and I subscribe to both but certainly prefer the printed version and am happy to pay the annual extra fee for the printed copy. This fee, of course should reflect a full recovery of costs after digital preparation:- printing, packing and postage. It would be great if the Register was able to offer the same options and formats.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

mike.g

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2022 :  12:49:17  Show Profile
AS one who still thinks smoke signals are hi tec my vote goes to the paper version and if we have to pay a little more so be it.Only the rain comes down !

Mike G.

m.j.gooch
Go to Top of Page

Digby

United Kingdom
133 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2022 :  13:18:55  Show Profile
Some very interesting and encouraging responses, thank you all. However, the most important component of all this is that if the Bulletin is to continue as a printed format, we need a replacement editorial team! Production of the Bulletin involves use of a semi-professional software programme which is done by a friend of mine who has no involvement with MMM so does it just to be helpful. I am reluctant to impose this on her for another year as it is quite labour intensive.
A digital version would be easier to produce and have more flexibility.
Similarly, I would like to ease off and I think a new editor would be a good move and help to refresh the content. I would be happy to carry on as a deputy editor for a while if needed.
I am happy to discuss the implications of getting involved if anyone is interested.
Personally, I would love to see the Bulletin continue as a printed record but we need someone to step forward and volunteer!
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6205 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2022 :  14:22:46  Show Profile
From my own experience of producing a similarly sized magazine - A5 - but with fewer pages I must admit, I don’t see that the production needs to be any different depending on whether it’s printed or not. In my case I do the layout simply using Word and save each article as a pdf file. Once everything is done I just join all the pdf files into one file and fire it off to the printers. We haven’t yet got a website but in due course the pdf files will hopefully be available to read online or download.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

FrankAshleymgm

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2022 :  17:01:11  Show Profile
Definitely the printed format. I thoroughly dislike reading magazines on my laptop, and would willingly pay more to cover any increased production costs. Simon's system sounds interesting and relatively straightforward.

Frank Ashley
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2022 :  17:24:59  Show Profile
And also for me even if there is has to be a contribution to any increase in production costs. I must confess to not even having a "smart phone" nor even wanting one! Simon C.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3247 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2022 :  17:56:25  Show Profile
Hi Digby and all.

Definitely prefer the Bulletin to continue in printed form.

It would be great if we can find a volunteer to take over from Digby who has done such a fantastic job.

George
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2022 :  11:14:16  Show Profile
Paper only for me too. It is nice to have a stack of the lovely little things on the shelf. I keep surprising myself by having found unread items that somehow I missed first time around. It would be sacrilege to throw them in the bin and members are frequently seeking back numbers from time to time.
Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 28/04/2022 11:15:19
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2022 :  12:45:05  Show Profile
Paper and staples, please. We had 50 years of Yearbooks all stapled so they could be held in the same binders then the 2020 version that can't be bound. It would be disappointing to see the Bulletin suffer the same fate.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2022 :  10:19:13  Show Profile
Picking up on Simon's comment, I prepare 'Totally T-Type 2 in WORD. It then gets converted to pdf and goes off to the printers.

For those who want a printed copy (only 90 or so) the UK charge is £21 for six copies. Print costs just over £2 per copy. Postage costs are crippling at £1.65 per copy. The £21 does not quite cover these costs when the price of envelopes is taken into account.

The magazine is uploaded to my website at www.ttypes.org/ttt2 where it can be downloaded as a whole magazine or alternatively, there is a facility to just read any individual articles that one is interested in.

It is difficult to measure how many people look at the magazine because those who just look at the individual articles are not counted, but I estimate the numbers are around 3,000.

There is no charge for the digital versions.

Edited by - John James on 29/04/2022 10:23:12
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1510 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2022 :  12:22:02  Show Profile
That's a good insight John, many thanks for the info!

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000