Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Disposal of waste petrol
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6204 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2022 :  20:00:33  Show Profile
I want to drain the three or four gallons of petrol lying in the tank as they’ve been there for at least nine months and are probably the cause of the J2 running very poorly. But how do I dispose of the waste petrol? In the good old days you’d just have drained it into the grating in the gutter but I gather that’s not acceptable these days.

My local recycling centre can handle waste oil, but not petrol. So where to go?

Suggestions, anyone?

Simon J
J3437

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2022 :  20:22:32  Show Profile
Lawn mower?

Barny Creaser
(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
640 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2022 :  20:27:54  Show Profile
Use the car, topping it up with fresh petrol every now and then, 'diluting' the old petrol. Soon be done...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Christian H

Germany
58 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2022 :  20:37:20  Show Profile
Drained petrol from the MG goes into the daily driver with sufficent fresh petrol - never had any trouble - whatever the fuel mixture of the MG was...-;) Petrol is made for "consumption" in a short time - same as with beer: Doesn´t taste any more after left standing open in a glass / in it´s bottle for a few days....

Christian Hoeptner
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6204 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2022 :  20:47:19  Show Profile
Thanks everyone.

I don’t have a garden, Barny, so no lawn mower.

While I’d agree that simply filling her up with fresh fuel and keeping her topped up to dilute the stale stuff would be the ideal solution, Hugh, I doubt very much that I’ll clock up the miles in the near future to drain down the tank sufficiently to make this work. That’s why I’d just like to get rid of it and start with fresh stuff in the tank.

Both daily drivers are diesels and adding petrol to diesel isn’t a good idea. Don’t ask me how I know that! But in truth I hadn’t thought of that and I think my daughter's car is probably petrol. So adding a gallon at a time to her tank might work. Good thinking, Christian!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1988 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2022 :  23:50:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Johnston

Thanks everyone.

I don’t have a garden, Barny, so no lawn mower.
Simon J
J3437

Then give it to someone who does have a lawn mower.

Edited by - coracle on 26/04/2022 23:53:30
Go to Top of Page

Phil Standish

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2022 :  19:25:07  Show Profile
If there is four gallons and with the price of fuel I would like to get the ferry over to collect it for my lawn mower please Simon
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6204 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2022 :  06:49:48  Show Profile
It’s a deal, Phil.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2022 :  11:06:40  Show Profile
I use some spacial jollop in the PA which it is claimed prevents any problem with stale petrol. I don't know whether it is any good but I fired the car up last Friday, not having used it since last November, and it started straightaway. Well pleased.
Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 28/04/2022 11:07:05
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2022 :  11:56:32  Show Profile
I'm still working my way through a tank of petrol from November-ish….and it is of the E10 variety as well. In my happiness in finding a petrol station whilst down to the reserve, I filled it completely up with the stuff. However, no problems experienced and I have used almost all of it with the car still going OK. Not sure if its my imagination or not, but I think it is just fractionally down on power, noticeable at 4500+ revs.

Barny Creaser
(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1988 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2022 :  12:29:56  Show Profile
I think I last put petrol in over a year ago with a dollop of tetraboost.

It started OK on Monday and went very well.

The regular problem I have after prolonged inactivity is petrol leakage from the carbs, undoubtedly due to the drying out of various fibre washers.

It's always a worry when petrol drips onto the distributor with all those sparks going on inside.
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
714 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2022 :  14:17:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by coracle

I think I last put petrol in over a year ago with a dollop of tetraboost.

It started OK on Monday and went very well.

The regular problem I have after prolonged inactivity is petrol leakage from the carbs, undoubtedly due to the drying out of various fibre washers.
It's always a worry when petrol drips onto the distributor with all those sparks going on inside.

Nigel, you are lucky you don't have an M type. The leaking carb is right above the exhaust pipe and the petrol tank is above your knees!
Keith
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2022 :  14:29:50  Show Profile
Colin

and the "special jollop" is ?????
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6204 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2022 :  20:08:19  Show Profile
I drained the petrol out this morning and in truth it didn’t seem that bad with no ghastly smell. I’ll throw some BP Ultimate into it next week and see if it makes any difference.

Phil, there probably wasn’t enough to justify coming over for it () but a local vintage car club pal has a large garden and reckoned his mower would run on anything so I gave it to him. Good suggestion, Nigel!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2022 :  10:58:33  Show Profile
Tony. I cannot remember what the magic stuff was called, but I bought it at an autojumble where the vendor was offering a number of different products all of which claimed one benefit or another for vintage engines. These products included the wire mesh bag of tin balls allegedly designed during WW2 to enable Spitfire and Hurricane engines to run on low quality Russian petrol. Didn't buy those, mainly because I already have them in the PAs tank ! Looks as if I am a sucker for any hard sell, but those were recommended to me by the late and much missed Michael B Hawke. Mike was of course a very senior naval engineer and as he told me that they gave him better starting, more m.p.g. and all the other benefits claimed in the adverts, I tended to believe him.
Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000