Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 Tonneau cover
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  18:07:06  Show Profile
Trying to figure out how this should work -- does the zip go front to back along the centre line (up to the seat back)or across at seat back level? There is only the one central liftadot on the scuttle plus 2 more on each side.As this is in line with the mirror how is this got round? Any ideas? Many thanks, Simon.

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  17:10:41  Show Profile
Do let me know when you have found something out, I am about to go down the same path.

I have recently seen an L2 "half tonneau" which covers the space behind and beside the seat, hiding the hood frame.

Cheers

P

Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  10:31:54  Show Profile
You may not be aware that prewar MG's and up to at least TC's were only supplied with a "half tonneau". Full tonneaux would have been made up by individual motor trimmers so the style and materials etc would have been decided by them and/or the owners. Addressing your query, my TC has a full tonneau (as well) and has two "Lift-a-dot" studs near the central rear view mirror (which on TC's was also fitted by the dealers or owners). You usually knock the mirror out of alignment in the course of attaching the tonneau, but you can undo the zip and drive with the passenger side closed in (in which case you can't see that side of the dashboard, instruments, etc). I am interested as to the way the half tonneau was attached in prewar models. I have attached mine to the rear of the backrest with a thin timber batten underneath and, of course, lift-a-dot fasteners around the outside. The backrest is always in its rearmost position but what if I wanted to move it forward? Have other owners a solution? TC's had elastic straps allowing movement of the backrest but maintaining the tension but I am not aware that prewar cars used such an arrangement.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  12:34:54  Show Profile
I have a full tonneau on my PA with a Zip from the centre where the mirror is to the seat back. When I had it made I had two small zips put in,each about 4 ins. long, from the edge of the tonneau on each side and just behind the seat back.This makes the folding of the tonneau much easier when you want to tuck the drivers half behind the seat (& likewise for the passenger side also, if you don't want to remove it completely for 'two person use') I call the two short zips Kelly zips because my good friend Brian Kelly advised me to have them fitted & they are a very big advantage. Hope this helps! Ray.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  12:39:23  Show Profile
Barry

My PA showed signs of having had the original half-tonneau. It was fitted to the rear of the bench seat and, as you suggest, held in place by a thin, rounded profile piece of hardwood.

There was no evidence of anything elastic, so I conclude, as you have done, that the tonneau could only be fixed in one position (by lift-the-dot fasteners). If it was fixed with the seat back in the foremost position, it meant that the canvas would flap around if the driver moved the seat backwards. If fixed in the way you have described, this would prevent the seat back from being moved forwards......

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743

Edited by - DickMorbey on 03/11/2008 12:44:06
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  09:56:44  Show Profile
Dick, You are a man after my own heart and almost certainly right. Logic would indicate that the half tonneau was tailored in the foremost position of the backrest and therefore must have flapped around if the backrest was moved back. We are in good company because I discussed this very question with a very well-known MG motor trimmer from your part of the world (who did a superb job of my F2 seats, etc). Not only is he a genius when it comes to MG interiors but has collected quite a lot of original items including half tonneaux. We looked at them and it was obvious that they were originally fixed to the backrest with the timber strip that we mentioned. Because I am quite tall I made mine to fit the backrest in the rearmost position, anyone very short might have to resort to cushion/s as "the diminutive Bira" (as he is referred to in "A Princess Remembers" as I think the book is entitled) did!
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  19:17:43  Show Profile
Thanks for all that,seems there is no definitive answer. However I have been told that one way is for the tonneau zip to start from the cockpit side of the mirror upright and the unzipped portion fitted round the mirror and meeting at the front edge again to be secured to the central lift a dot. means one half of the tonneau edge will need a bit of a strap or similar to enable it to meet at the centre with its fastener. I had the remains of a half tonneau but its not clear how this fitted to the seat back.. There was also a laethercloth bag for the sidescreens. Simon.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  08:26:25  Show Profile
Simon, On the question of side screens, I believe that some ohc cars (if not all) had a flat "bag" behind the backrest for the side screens to slide into. I made mine out of black vynil, simply a flat "bag" with a fold-over flap with a press stud at either side holding the flap down. You may well find (as I did) that by placing the long sides of the side screens at the outer sides of the car they fit perfectly behind the backrest, it is neat and tidy and the side screens are inconspicuous! The down side is that the round rake-adjusters rest against the clear "windows" but it doesn't appear to have affected them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000