Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 dashboard mounting
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank van Dalen

Netherlands
28 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  10:36:53  Show Profile
In the restoration of my J2 body I have come across three boomerang shaped bits of plywood which are nailed to the dashboard rail on top of the original piping. They serve as shims to bring the dashboard in line with the back edge of the scuttle top. Can anybody tell me if these bits are original MG parts or a later addition by a previous owner?

Thanks

Frank van Dalen
J2 4138
www.frankvandalen.net

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  11:52:38  Show Profile
I have never seen such distance pieces in the various cars I have restored. I would have thought a better solution would be to have a dash board made out of thicker material!

Regards George
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  12:19:27  Show Profile
I don't know whether the dashboard being referred to is wood or metal? If the latter, spacers might well be necessary.

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  13:25:19  Show Profile
Frank the spacers you refer to are absolutely correct they were fitted originally and do exactly what you say. They also help to retain the piping when you are fitting the dash.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  17:43:11  Show Profile
Frank

Agreed, they are correct

Rich H
Go to Top of Page

Frank van Dalen

Netherlands
28 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  19:21:17  Show Profile
Gentlemen,

Thank you once more! I should have tried harder not to damage them on removal... They don't really look like factory items except that the plywood quality is better than average.

Frank van Dalen
J2 4138
www.frankvandalen.net
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  10:21:59  Show Profile
I didn't know of these items, no wonder I had difficulty in aligning my dashboard!
Go to Top of Page

Steve Cooper

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  12:39:11  Show Profile
As per Terry Holden's comment, the plywood pieces are absolutely correct. I have seen them on many cars including my L2. When I rebuilt the body tub on the L2, I retained the wooden dash "hump" piece but replaced the three pieces of plywood with a single piece of plywood the whole way across - glueing and screwing it to the "hump" piece which makes a much stronger assembly. The dash "hump" piece is in fact quite weak on the L2 because of the small cut outs for the dash lamps (unlike the J2) reducing the section which on my car had split across the grain at this point, so the revised method actually repaired the problem as well.

Regards Steve.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  16:25:44  Show Profile
Hello all,
The dashboard boomerang-shaped plywood packing pieces û for clarification are these fastened to the forward (in car line) surface of the veneered dash panel, or to the twin hump-shaped plywood cross-member to which the veneered fascia is fastened?

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Frank van Dalen

Netherlands
28 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  08:05:38  Show Profile
Bruce,

Sorry for the delay in answering - the pieces are nailed to the twin hump-shaped ash cross member to which the aluminium J2/L2 fascia is then attached. I expect they are not used on PA/PB and other models with a thicker veneered wooden fascia.

Regards

Frank van Dalen
J2 4138
www.frankvandalen.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000