Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG PB Respray
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miniman1983

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2022 :  06:52:46  Show Profile
Hello,

I have slowly been having the PB mechanically restored. The spend came as quite a shock and who to use (or not). That said, its all a learning curve for me.

My car is running and driving but now I am looking to have the car resprayed. The car is never going to be mint but the paint is peeling. I have contacted a few local body shops but they don't want to touch it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for midlands based body shops that are willing to work on prewar?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

RW

MmmGee

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2022 :  09:12:40  Show Profile
If you are willing to travel down to Weston Super Mare, it might be worth trying Finishing Touch Bodyshop (Adrian Moore)who is a MMM guy.

MmmGee
Go to Top of Page

njnh

United Kingdom
405 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2022 :  09:27:27  Show Profile
I can also recommend Adrian Moore. He did a fantastic job on my J2. You can save a good deal of expenditure by removing the old paint yourself if you have the time.

Nigel H
Go to Top of Page

Centric

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2022 :  09:29:51  Show Profile
Definitely Adrian. MMM racer, definitely the best in the business. Only a hop down the M5 for you.
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
965 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2022 :  09:48:11  Show Profile
I can endorse these comments.

Adrian painted my PB and J2.

Have a look at https://www.facebook.com/Finishing-Touch-Body-Shop-WSM-1553537641628733/

If you page down a bit, you will see my red J2 in motion.
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2022 :  14:19:06  Show Profile
Another recommendation for fellow MMM Owner Adrian Moore :)

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2165 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2022 :  20:32:09  Show Profile
I can thoroughly recommend Len Bell, works half a mile from Vintage MG Parts up here 8 miles south of York. He gave my concours J4 recreation 14 coats, each one rubbed down. He is a perfectionist. I would attach a photo but the Register forum site is so hit and miss from an Apple, and today, it won’t work. Can email photos if you are interested in seeing his work.

Contact me direct if you require his details

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 22/08/2022 20:36:28
Go to Top of Page

AJR

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2022 :  20:57:40  Show Profile
Try Wilkinsons in Derby. They did a great job on my PB
Go to Top of Page

tink

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2022 :  21:43:24  Show Profile
Would definitely recommend Adrian Moore has done a fantastic job on my J2 swept wing

pete tincknell
Go to Top of Page

miniman1983

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2022 :  00:11:20  Show Profile
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice. I have opted for a more local guy in the end. A week in, the car is stripped and all panels have been sent away to the blasters. Hoping they come back in one piece!! Does anyone have a colour chart? The car is “BRG” but I want to ensure its an original Mg colour going back on.

RW
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2022 :  16:40:14  Show Profile
Richard the factory originally used Ulster and Dublin Greens for their two tone paint schemes in green. There is information available from people who have used different shades of green to match these two colours.
From what I have seen on original parts I think the factory used a different plain green when painting the competition cars . Quite possibly different shades were used at different times but a while ago I matched the colour on two original parts from two different cars and the closest I could get was a British Standard green called Deep Brunswick Green code number 227. In small areas it looks quite dark but when the whole car is painted it gives a lovely overall shade of green.
I strongly recommend that you get some decent sized sample panels sprayed up with your chosen shade of colour and look at them against the car in different lights.

If your factory file or bonnet hinge show a different original colour and you want to revert to that, perhaps two tone red or blue there are suggestions for these colours listed elsewhere. The most important thing is that you are totally happy with the colour you are getting before the car is painted. Big job to change it later !
Terry

TH
Go to Top of Page

r.warr

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2022 :  18:10:30  Show Profile
There are 2 re-sprayers ii the midlands I can vouch for.
Both have done work for me which has been very good.
The re-sprayer who is in Studley,Warwicks,Has done 3 cars for me.
The other Body man is in Kings Norton, B'ham who's main work is body alterations.
If any use to you let me know and I will give you their details.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6155 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2022 :  18:57:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tholden

From what I have seen on original parts I think the factory used a different plain green when painting the competition cars .

I think the same is true of non-competition cars painted a single shade of green. When the stone guards were removed from the very rusty rear wings of my car there was enough of the original green paint underneath that hadn’t been exposed to sunlight for the preceding eighty years to allow us to colour match it pretty well and we ended up with a green with the paint code Lesonal k22920 colour map 448 h5

Unfortunately you can’t rely on what is noted on the dispatch card to determine whether a car was a special order single colour or a regular duotone as in many cases the car is just noted as 'Green' or 'Blue' or 'Red'.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 29/10/2022 19:02:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000