Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M Type Aluminium Finishing Strips
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  10:01:20  Show Profile
Can someone please give me the width of the aluminium strip that is fitted to the scuttle, above the dash, and continues along the top of the doors, on a fabric M Type. The doors have a plywood skin on the outside and the trim panel on the inside. The scuttle rail only has the former so is narrower. Does the aluminium strip "overhang" the scuttle or is the top edge of the door inner panel not covered by the strip. Also what is the width of the "T" section strip that is fitted to the vertical edges of the doors and around the boot lid. I am about to place an order with Paul Beck and he has a range of sizes.

Cheers

Jan T

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  10:28:14  Show Profile
Jan, My 1931 fabric-bodied M-type (M2737) has never been restored and the aluminium crescent moulding is the same around the cockpit and door tops. It is one and a quarter inches in width and, as a matter of interest, there are no sidescreen sockets on the driver's door (and never have been, so the driver apparently did not rate a sidescreen, perhaps in the interests of economy, in my model). I think that the T-sections on the doors have been replaced but that around the boot is definitely original and is nine-sixteenths (!) in width and from the outside radius to the width of the leg is fifteen-sixteenths. There is a photo of my car (with new vynil over the original Rexine and repainted mudguards) on the Octagon Cars (I think is the name) website. The car is still black with red wheels (as it was delivered) but I have replaced the interior with red instead of its original black (I have the original black Rexine backrest).
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  10:44:26  Show Profile
Sorry, the photo that I was referering to is in the Visitors Gallery of the Vintage MG Parts website.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  11:10:57  Show Profile
Jan, The aluminium strip sits just below the level of the fabric on the scuttle top (say 5 mm at the most) making a neat small (consistent) radius above the strip. On the door tops the moulding is similarly just inside the outer face of the fabric (say 3 mm) and does not cover the door trim, the edge of which is visible if you look down on the door. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  13:22:27  Show Profile
Barry,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. Paul Beck sells domed aluminium strip 32m/m wide which will do nicely for the original 1.25" He also has 16m/m "T" section which again should be fine. I am especially greatful re the size of the boot strip. It's quite narrow so I will need to ensure the gap between the body and the boot lid is appropriate.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000