Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA 1004 and p types
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phil

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2008 :  22:00:52  Show Profile
Hi, whilst sorting through my papers, I found a photocopy of some factory paperwork for PA 1004, no idea why I should have it. I'm sure that the info I have is all ready known, but maybe not.
2nd thing, now I'm legal to drive the PB, I am a little surprised at how bouncy the car is, is this right?
Cheers
PB0730 Phil

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  08:09:58  Show Profile
Phil

According to the Register listings, PA1004 is still alive. You might consider forwarding the factory correspondence to register Bob Clare, who could pass it on to the present owner?

Bouncy? Yes, that was one of my early reactions when I first drove my PA. Especially noticeable through the control pedals, mainly on rough roads (plenty of them around) so it can be difficult to drive smoothly. Tightening up the Hartfords did not do much to improve things.

Do others find the same?

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  09:55:24  Show Profile

First define the term 'bouncy'. ( Readers of the wrong sort of magazines may talk amongst themselves.)

Do you mean the sensation of having no springs and thus feeling every bump or the car, or wobbling on its springs like an old-fashioned perambulator?

The P Type does not have modern chassis dynamics, having stiff springs, primitive damping and a relatively flexible chassis, the opposites of modern practice.

In addition, it has large wheels with narrow tyres, a combination advised against by today's motoring journalists as damaging the ride quality, even with luxury cars - which the 'P' is not.
Go to Top of Page

phil

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  10:15:47  Show Profile
Hi, to define bouncy, yes, a perambulator is a good discription. On a straight good quality road (in my normal car), I have the feeling that I am being bounced up and down. It also feels very unnerving on a bend.
The power and acceleration is great. Maybe I should practice on a space hopper to acclimatise myself to driving the we beasty.
PS.
Will forwards info to Bob Clare.

Cheers
Phil
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  11:15:22  Show Profile
I remember in about 1956 or 1957 a friend gave me a lift in his TC (which he still has!) and it felt like a Rolls Royce by comparison with the PA that I had at the time!
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  12:17:56  Show Profile
Dick, I have never found that adjusting the Hartfords made much difference. They offer the most resistance in their ststic position, and after moving "damping' is relatively minimal! I think that in prewar competition they tightened them up to the point where the principle was that they allowed little, if any, axle movement.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  00:07:48  Show Profile
Hi Phil,

I will certainly pass on the documents as soon as I've checked that the last owner we have on the Register database still has PA 1004, but I suspect he doesn't since Terry Bone had it for sale recently. If he doesn't have the car now I'll file the papers (as I have for a number of other such cases) and give them to whoever turns out to own it now.

As for bouncing - well, perhaps because I was brought up by parents with a 1938 Morris 12 and drove an F1 Magna as my first car, I may have developed a hard bum or an internal shock absorber or both!! I have to say that neither PA 1048 nor NA 0934 are unduly "bouncy". I can drift both (under the appropriate off road conditions) in a controlled manner which would not be possible if wheels were regulalry leaving the ground. Mind you, you do have to make quite sure the steering geometry is correct (camber/castor/toe-in) otherwise the things behave like camels in the hands of the non-arabic speaker.

The "drop test" for Andre Hartfords seems to work very well though I have got duplex versions on the P Type and I replaced the beech inserts on both cars. At anything over 75mph the P begins to feel twitchy mind you whilst the better chassis on the NB allow 85mph until I get those symptoms.

Cheers.
Bob Clare
Registrar

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000