Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Triple M Register
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  16:24:21  Show Profile
Welcome to the Forum to Bruce Stephenson and congratulations on acquiring your MG PA.
I am afraid that the things you have been saying have been said by many before you who feel the same way. I know a lot of new Triple M owners soon ask why did I join the MGCC having done so because it seemed the right thing to do when you first acquire an MG. They soon start to ask why dont we simply have a separate Triple M Club.

Despite what Simon says I suspect that with full support from Triple M owners an independent Triple M Club could survive on its own. There would need to be suitable access arrangements regarding chassis files and historic photos, although the latter seem to have now got lost in the depths of the MGCC archives.

However, as always, there is a problem. Who would run this new Club ?It would require a properly ratified and legally managed structure.

We currently have a committee of wonderful volunteers who put in a large amount of work to keep the existing Register and Forum functioning. We could not expect these people to take on the task of setting up a new Club so it would require a fresh group of people with the enthusiasm, energy and available time to set up and run such a new organisation. Who are they and will they come forward ? I doubt it. As with most clubs 99 % of the members want the benefits of membership but do not want to do the work needed to run the club !
I am sure that you will understand this very well Bruce given all your experience with Clubs in the past.

So independence is a great idea but I do not believe it will happen and expect we will soldier on as an unloved subsidiary of the MGCC with all that entails including paying for independently produced publications and, for many activities, a choice of whether you want to be a member of the main Club or not.

We should all be grateful that we have this Forum through which you can find nearly all the advice and information you will need to maintain and enjoy your Triple M car.
Terry

TH

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6162 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2022 :  17:19:57  Show Profile
I must say I really don’t understand why people feel the need to complain about the MG Car Club and Safety Fast! If you don’t think it’s worth paying the annual sub, then don’t bother as, bizarrely, you can still avail of all the knowledge and expertise that the Register provides even as a non-member. Why go to all the trouble of forming a new club when you can freeload on this one? I can honestly think of nothing that is exclusively available to members of the MGCC other than participation in MSA authorised events that require competitors to be members.

To my mind, the MGCC is part of the heritage of the Triple-M era. The Club was founded in 1930 within the factory and I’m personally proud to have the same club badge on my car 90 years later. YMMV

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
654 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2022 :  14:52:28  Show Profile
How would a MMM Club be funded ??
Although the Triple M Register is quite well endowed with funds - I suspect that as we are part of MGCC, these funds legally belong to them.

Many of our events are subsidised to some extent by the Registers funds - If we went independent then this would stop and so would many of our splendid events.

And how large would a membership fee have to be [in these dodgy times] to run a new club.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6162 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2022 :  17:40:02  Show Profile
I’m afraid that the question for me is, never mind the funding, what possible benefit could a new club bring that isn’t met by the current arrangement of the Register within the MGCC. Furthermore, even if a new club were to be established, the Register would still be here. To paraphrase that nice Mr Gerry Adams, it won’t have gone away, you know!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
654 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2022 :  14:35:04  Show Profile
Correct, Simon

The naysayers are getting things completely the wrong way round.
They should look at things this way.

The MMM Register Club has an annual sub of about £50.
For this you get invited to all their events and those which the "club" is invited to, along with the excellent quarterly bulletin [for a small additional sub]. They should also have exclusive use of the "clubs" excellent forum - but that is another matter.

It so happens that your £50 or so is paid to another organisation called the MG Car Club Ltd.
As a bonus from them you get a pretty good monthly magazine for free. Also the right to attend myriads of events all over the country [and indeed the world] and club natters/meetings as well. Discounted entries to Silverstone and so on.

So stop moaning on about how the MGCVC is a waste of space/time. Just ignore it if you wish and use paragraph two, above, as your benchmark

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000