Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M-Type and early Tool Roll
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2022 :  04:57:13  Show Profile
Was asked if I could make a 1932 M-Type tool-roll, and managed to do so from photographs I found on-line.
Interested if dimensions can be confirmed off an original, and colours. I have seen them in black, and brown, was the brown for special models?
The pouches are stitched on a backing around the edges, so there is a pocket behind each side, neat fit for the parts and instructions manuals I notice. There is a protective flap, folds in the middle.
Shown with some of my late model tools where I believe (from a complete original that I saw) the tools fitted. Individual pouches made to these tool fitments.
The dimensions I worked out were based on outside dimensions of (opened) 279mm x 559 mm (similar size to the late model roll)
Once I hear, I'll gauge interest whether to make a few more too.

sam christie

United Kingdom
3104 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2022 :  11:26:14  Show Profile

These pictures show an early M-type toll roll photographed many years ago. The car TM 5321 2M 371 is exceptionally original and it is very likely that this tool roll has always belonged to the car.

I hope the measurements are sufficiently legible in these scans. I believe this tool roll was brown.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2022 :  21:53:27  Show Profile
Thanks Sam.
Yes this confirms what I have.
Maybe need to size the pockets slightly more.
Have used modern PVC leathercloth, and an inside liner.
Was unable to find a source of the early type cellulose leathercloth, interested to hear of any that still may be available.
Here is the photo I used for the tools. Sam I see (found on google search of MG M Type Tool roll) that this appeared in an article your thread from 2014. Some other useful information there too.
I will now add this part to my parts list on my web site, for options of a cut pattern, cut pieces, and full roll.
Bit to make them, there are 7 pieces, and I needed to stand by and instruct the upholsterer while he worked!

Edited by - DDMDSN on 12/09/2022 21:54:31
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2023 :  11:49:44  Show Profile
Looks good Donald, nice work thumbs up

Kind Rgrds James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly