Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 The Autocar and K.L.G sparking plugs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rob

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  19:46:15  Show Profile
I have come across a tatty copy of The Autocar dated August 5th 1932,
on the back page under flashes ! is the following. The MG Midget driven by H.C. Hamilton in the German Grand Prix, which was successful in winning the 750 c.c class was equipped with the latest K.L.G 14 mm sparking plugs. Maybe of interest to todays owner of the said car !

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  12:55:43  Show Profile
Sentences like that often appeared at the end of 20s and 30s race reports: in effect free advertising for the suppliers.

You'll sometimes find things like "X's winning MG used Dunlop tyres, Shell fuel, Castrol lubricants and KLG plugs". I've always assumed that the companies mentioned had provided the journalist with hospitality or some other material help: perhaps "Dunlop Mac" bought him a pint in the bar, the Shell rep treated him to lunch, Castrol provided tea and buns and the KLG man bought him dinner?
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  11:33:11  Show Profile
It compensated for the times when a race retirement was blamed on 'plug trouble' rather than the con-rod through the side which is what had actually occurred.

Believe in advertising claims as faithfully as you believe in what politicians say.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000