Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2828 in OZ.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkes

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2022 :  13:51:10  Show Profile
My brother in Melbourne has recently bought J2828 in Australia. He is wanting some history and so far believes it was exported to NZ in 1945 after the war and since then crossed to Australia. It has just had a full rebuild with previous owner.
There is supposed to be a reference to it in an article in Safety Fast in 3/85. Would anyone have a copy to scan the relevant bit?
I wonder if there is any record of UK history before it emigrated?

Gerhard Maier

Germany
877 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2022 :  15:36:03  Show Profile
Hi Simon,
I had a look into the for-sale-advertisements of the pre war SPORTS CAR MAGAZINES, where often the chassis numbers are mentioned.

But unfortunately the No. J2828 does not appear.
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
376 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2022 :  16:23:56  Show Profile
There is a little bit in the register Simon, but we don't have any identification photos for the car.
https://www.triple-mregister.com/browsereg.php

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

Hawkes

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2022 :  19:56:43  Show Profile
Thanks Gerhard for looking and John too.
Does the MG CC have a library of back copies of Safety Fast with access available for research?
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
673 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2022 :  21:07:35  Show Profile
https://www.mgcc.co.uk/safety-fast-online-magazines-updated/
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
382 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2022 :  22:04:43  Show Profile
If Nick is interested in joining us on runs and events he would be most welcome. Andrew
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkes

My brother in Melbourne has recently bought J2828 in Australia. He is wanting some history and so far believes it was exported to NZ in 1945 after the war and since then crossed to Australia. It has just had a full rebuild with previous owner.
There is supposed to be a reference to it in an article in Safety Fast in 3/85. Would anyone have a copy to scan the relevant bit?
I wonder if there is any record of UK history before it emigrated?

NA 0279
PA 1294
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
673 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2022 :  00:22:44  Show Profile
https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=15766&SearchTerms=J2828
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
965 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2022 :  07:56:54  Show Profile
J2828 was supplied from new by Frank Scott Ltd., Newcastle-upon-Tyne on 3rd February 1933 to B.St.M.F.Webb-Ware.

There was a photo of the car in Safety Fast, April 1985. It is a very poor photo and you can't read the registration number. It is pictured alongside two other cars (a TF1500 and a BGT) owned by Charlie Fulton of South Island, New Zealand. In the POST BOX (Letters) section, Charlie Fulton said that he had just purchased the car and it needed a full rebuild. He was asking some very basic questions e.g. "Where is the battery supposed to be". which he hoped would be answered by someone who would be prepared to correspond with him.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkes

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2022 :  09:31:12  Show Profile
Great stuff, thanks Kevin, John and Andrew. Nick will be delighted to get all this info. It is his third J2 but about 50 years gap after the first two! It poured with rain on the day he had to take it for its roadworthy inspection and apparently it brought back lots of memories of driving in Devon in our youth. Come to sunny Devon, where it rains six days out of seven ....
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6155 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2022 :  11:43:48  Show Profile
It would be well worth getting a copy of the factory file for the car if not already obtained. It’s available at modest cost from the MG Car Club - contact Ineke Sherman (ineke@mgcc.co.uk

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

NZ_monty

New Zealand
63 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2022 :  20:12:42  Show Profile
Hi Nick,

There's a far bit of information about the car on the NZ MMM register you might like - https://www.mgclub.org.nz/includes/download.ashx?ID=161284

Cheers,
Daniel
Go to Top of Page

Hawkes

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2022 :  08:25:32  Show Profile
Thanks Daniel what a great resource that is.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Caudwell

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2023 :  03:48:49  Show Profile
Thanks everyone very much for your input, it’s very much appreciated.
I took your advice and purchased the factory file and that confirms that it was indeed initially sold to Mr B. St. M. F. Webb-Ware of Larkspur Terrace, Newcastle Upon Tyne via dealer Frank Scott Ltd
Central Garage , Carliol Square, Newcastle Upon Tyne. It left the factory as a Green 2 seater.
There’s a couple of letters which deals with some issues it had with sticky valves , but no mention of it’s registration number which would be nice to trace if possible.
I guess it’s not that important really, but I’d like to get as many of the facts as possible as what seems to happen is someone’s thought along the way gets recorded as fact. There’s quite a bit listed on the NZ Triple M site regarding this car that is not correct. I have all the NZ registration papers and it would appear that it arrived in NZ in 1945 or 6 (hard to make out) and the first owner was Douglas McFarlane Harre, Lincoln Road, Henderson. Harry Walker (which the NZ info says imported it) was actually the 14th owner of it in NZ (in the 70's) and I suspect may have imported a different J2 that they are mixing it up with. It was also not a swept wing model as was built long before they were introduced.
The NZ site list the original Registration as MG2828 which I feel is quite unlikely. I used to own J2, registration MG2099, back in the UK in the late 60’s and that was a London Police car originally. I could be wrong but I think MG registrations may well be from the London area and not Newcastle, plus very unlikely that the registration would match the Chassis number.
I now have a detailed list of everything since it shipped to NZ to the current date, but nothing from its first owner till 1945 or 1946 when it shipped over.
Would anyone know if it’s at all possible to trace it’s original Registration number or is that altogether in the too hard basket now.
Cheers,
Nick Caudwell
J2828
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000