Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Carburettor for Volumex/XPAG
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anders Dahlberg

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  21:03:55  Show Profile
Hello,

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask questions about XPAG engines! But I will give it a shot anyway. I have a Volumex SC and are going to use this for a Q-Type replica with an XPAG engine. What would be the right size for an single SU-Carburettor to use for this combination. Maybe some can help me and my father. We are also interested to find one of these!

Best regards

Anders Dahlberg

dahlberg.mariestad@telia.com

Anders Dahlberg

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  07:56:38  Show Profile
My father's TD uses a Shorrock SC fitted with a 1 1/2" SU (either H or HS, I can't remember)...this seems fine for road use.
An 1 3/4" would also work equally well...

Edited by - etlanpa on 12/11/2008 08:38:38
Go to Top of Page

Anders Dahlberg

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  09:34:32  Show Profile
Thanks Paul,

The Volumex is positioned and driven off front of the crank.

I suppose that the 1 3/4 you mention or a 1 7/8 would be the best to use. Would be grateful of help to find a good one to use or restore.

Anders

Anders Dahlberg
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  11:38:57  Show Profile
If it's a 1250cc XPAG (or thereabouts) on petrol I would say that 1 7/8" is a bit too big - also, you'll find it a lot easier to find a 1 3/4"!!
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  13:03:13  Show Profile
I have a front mounted Volumex fitted to my 2 seat NB - the carburettor I use is 1 7/8".

On the other hand I have a side mounted Marshall to fit to my L2 and I have been advised to use a 1 3/4" carburettor! The engine capacity will be increased from 1100 to 1200cc by the fitting of a crankshaft with a longer throw,

I believe Peter Gregory fitted 1 3/4" Carburettors to the "Q type" XPAG engined T specials he produced. They are easier to find and his workshop may still have some - their telephone number is 01844 279802. Might be worth a call?

George
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  17:03:10  Show Profile
A source would be from a single carb Rover 2000.You should get a good second hand unit in the UK for about ú20 or less. This is a horizontally mounted carb of 1.75". The important thing is to ensure that under full throttle load the piston just rises to the top. You may well have to fit a weaker piston spring and may need to shorten it as well depending on the mass flow demanded under full throttle. The standard needle will be too weak but can be modified by filing a flat at any height to get the mixture correct when setting up on a rolling road. Because of the inertia of the blower you will probably need a significantly higher tick over speed especially if you have lightned the flywheel. It may need to be up to 1200 rpm.

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2008 :  05:24:15  Show Profile
Hello Anders,

Whereabout in Sweden are you? I have got a renovated SU carburetter for a Volumex which I plan to use on my PB (front driven supercharger). I'm abroad on vacation, but is back in end November. You can find my address in the MGCC member catalogue.

Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000