Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Works sales to the public
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2023 :  03:41:45  Show Profile
Hello from NZ,

Is there anyone who can tell me when the works stopped selling directly to the public ? This assumes that they once did.

Once a reasonable dealer network was established there would be an obligation by MG to suppport their agents I would have thought, however were there exceptions ?

Photo below is of J3096 (VT9391)at the now vanished town of Stafford, NZ, fitting as the car was delivered new to Stafford, Staffs. UK history keenly sought.

Peter and J3096

sam christie

United Kingdom
3114 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2023 :  10:16:07  Show Profile

Peter, the short film showing the M.G. works in the early 1930's shows a couple collecting their M.G. Magna from the factory but of course it is not clear if an agent was involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAYIz5BLKm8

My late father recalled some customers preferred to collect a new car from the factory (whichever manufacturer) and drive it home gently in accordance with the running in advice. Delivery drivers would have had no particular incentive to be quite so careful.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2023 :  10:38:55  Show Profile
Many years ago, working at Pressed Steel in Cowley, I was asked to research the long term body failures of the Mini, that is just what led to them being consigned to the scrap yard.

One conclusion was that cars delivered to Scotland by delivery drivers lasted longer than ones delivered to the Midlands. Mechanical failure was the primary reason for the final trip to the yard, not body fails, and the conclusion was that delivery drivers actually did not 'flog' the engines in those early miles but ran them in 'respectfully'.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

chris Wallis

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2023 :  11:33:03  Show Profile
Sam thanks for highlighting the you tube film at the factory i have never seen so many salonettes on the production line as shown in this film i wonder which one is mine ? Also not much regard in the spray shop for health and safety No face mask or breathing protection! Chris.

C L Wallis
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
773 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2023 :  12:45:10  Show Profile
Hi Chris, I was told that the filming in the spray shop was staged with water spray as any cellulose thinners vapour would have "killed" the celluloid ( or acetate?) film in the cameras. I expect the employees wanted to get their faces seen!
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2023 :  13:34:03  Show Profile
The Magna in the still from the film is Dorset registered. I don't know quite what that adds to the discussion, but presumably indicates that a car collected from thefactory would not have been registered in Oxford...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2560 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2023 :  20:23:07  Show Profile
I don't suppose Peter that you know the origin of the White Ensign on the bonnet rather than the more common Union Jack?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

mike.g

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2023 :  21:09:38  Show Profile
Presumably bought by a naval officer ?

m.j.gooch
Go to Top of Page

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2023 :  08:32:34  Show Profile
Thank you to those who replied or commented. Clearly the works did not make a habit of selling directly to customers otherwise there would have been some positive statement to that effect from at least one erudite MMM owner.

I would assume then if they did, the customer would have had to be someone quite special. Am I correct in this assumption ? If so, has anyone any thoughts on this?

Re the flag on the bonnet: Its the flag of the United Tribes of New Zealand, New Zealand's 1st flag, 1834 to 1840 For those interested check on Wikipedia.

Peter and J3096

Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2023 :  09:22:20  Show Profile
In 1967 I bought and collected an MG Midget direct from the factory in Abingdon, and at a 20% discount. But then I was an employee of the firm.

Maybe that was one available route in the 1930's.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2560 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2023 :  11:12:14  Show Profile
Ah yes! Now I've blown the pic up I can see the flag is not a White Ensign, and I had of course seen it before on my wonderful visit to New Zealand in 2016.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000