Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Congratulations to the MGCC - a new low for MMMs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Blithe Spirit

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2023 :  17:33:19  Show Profile
The comparison with VSCC is an interesting one. They have made real effort recently to get younger members, not by offering Russ Swift and discos, but by showing them the fun that can be had from competing in their cars, whether that be racing, hillclimbs, trials or just tours. The triple M Register has done a similar thing with similar success but the Club does very little to promote such activities for any of the club's cars. Just compare the number of spectators at an MGCC speed or race event with VSCC. Yes, "MGs on track" is good at promoting track days, but trying to even find when Club races or sprints are scheduled requires determination. The only reliable source is the Register columns. When I joined the Club with a newish modern Midget I was encouraged to enter autotests, and to go to see Club racing. This was when I became aware of Ts and triple Ms competing, and made me "want one of those".
I remain a member of both the above clubs, and I guess I always will, but can see the argument against MGCC. The Riley Register was once part of the VSCC bit split off, very successfully and amicably, over a difference of opinion on spares provision. A bit like CK spares, but with a different outcome.
Regards,
David
J2768 (but no longer plus MGA, so MGCC is even less relevant)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2023 :  18:01:27  Show Profile
I’m afraid I’m not convinced by this 'younger member' business. The reality is that buying a usable Triple-M car will cost a minimum of the thick end of £20k and most 'young people' who participate in Triple-M cars do so in family owned cars rather than in cars they have been able to fund on their own. The reference above to the Frazer Nash Club being successful in bringing out 'young people' omits the fact that you’re looking at six figure sums to own a chain gang Nash.

We really need to accept that those of us who can enjoy driving a Triple-M car are extraordinarily privileged and talk of attracting 'young people' to join us is pie in the sky when the entry fee, i.e. buying a Triple-M car, is probably better spent in their eyes on a deposit for a house. So I can’t see the logic in expecting the MGCC to be actively promoting expensive playthings - far better to be trying to attract someone who has, say, a ZS as their everyday car and who might be interested in having a bit of fun in it without any risk of damaging it.

But even then, I do wonder if clubs aren’t doomed in the long run? Fifty or sixty years ago when many of us started our MG motoring, joining a club was how you met like-minded people. People don’t need clubs nowadays with Facebook and Instagram and Twitter and so on. Admit it guys, we’re a dying breed!

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 20/02/2023 18:21:45
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2023 :  09:42:51  Show Profile
Hello, Simon.
In the early 1960s when I wanted to buy a prewar MG the going rate for the average running car then was about £90-£200. More for better examples. It doesn’t seem much now but to me it was a fortune! I got around this by borrowing enough money (£30) to buy a pile of bits and build up my own car. ( I have been building them ever since!) I suspect many other members started off in the same way so I do not think I was unique.
I was a teenager, years before I could drive when I did this, everything is relevant and if any young person is enthusiastic enough and is provided with support and encouragement they could well be tempted into our world.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2023 :  10:46:18  Show Profile
Chris,
Looking at my daughters and their friends I doubt if any of them could spare the cash to rebuild even a derelict M Type! Yes, there will be some who are sufficiently enthused, and can raise a few bob (bank of Mum and Dad?) but they’re the minority. One of our Aussie friends commented to me the other day that the real potential group of new owners is not twenty somethings, but fifty somethings! They potentially have the money and time to indulge in such an expensive hobby. In our local vintage car club the new members we get are either young people from a vintage car family, or older folks who have a few bob spare and decide to try vintage motoring. I cannot recall any younger person from a non vintage motoring family buying an eligible car and joining us. And that’s where an eligible car could be a Morris 8 or an Austin Seven, i.e. not particularly expensive, by Triple-M standards, to buy or run.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2023 :  15:33:33  Show Profile
I've resisted entering this discussion, apart from my earlier comment, but Simon J is spot on. It is the forty and fifty somethings that are new entrants to the hobby (certainly as I view it on a daily basis). That is not to say that 'family' events for the younger owners are not to be encoraged... If you want younger people, then you have to offer them opportunities...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2023 :  12:31:06  Show Profile
Yes, indeed, Simon, the high prices of MMM's must be a problem for younger enthusiasts plus the other problem is that so few have the knowledge and skills which we older folk were lucky enough to avail ourselves of, so adding to operating costs. Like many, my first car was an Austin 7 bought for £25 which then represented 8 weeks pay which I suppose now would be equal to £3-4,000 if earning say, £20,000 p.a. In that case still affordable? Simon C.
Go to Top of Page

MDC

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2023 :  03:18:36  Show Profile
Hello everyone,
I'm a bit late to the party, but I thought I might add a little, hope it is positive, and food for thought..

Firstly, I've had to restrain myself a bit, but imo (as my chum Onno says), one is only likely to bring change from within, so I'd say membership of the MGCC is important, at least to me.

I noticed a lot of mention of Facebook, and I wanted to let you know that younger folks have largely abandoned that platform because us "oldies" have joined in droves.
The younger generations seem to spend most of their screen time on Instagram and Youtube for content browsing and communicating, along with Wattsapp and others of course.
Main thing is the desire to escape what parents are doing, at least that's my experience.

Lastly, I agree with whoever said that we might be wise to consider those interested individuals over the age of 40 as those we need to inspire to join us.

My three (age 25+) daughters are far too busy building careers and making relationships as a priority, and it seems sensible that they do so. Sure, they have been to MMM events etc and so the ember will be there for the future, but I myself for example, am not fortunate enough to be blessed with any family legacy in pre war MG ownership. It was an unnatural obsession held since youth, fanned into flame by the enthusiasm and positivity found after a chance encounter at work with my (then colleague, now friend) Dolts. It is that sort of positive culture we should emphasise, and I know that the one thing that my children dislike the most is public negativity and conflict.

Just saying.
Peace and love.(emoji)
Mike

Mike DC
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000