Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Cat 5 trackers for insurance cover
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ktype

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2023 :  13:43:57  Show Profile
Does anyone have experience of having these fitted to our kind of car? They are becoming more of a requirement for higher value vintage cars and for insurance purposes I get must be Cat 5 and monitored remotely by a third party. Lots of them include functionality we cannot use (immobiliser for example) and I am hoping that someone has an old car friendly positive experience.

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2023 :  10:43:47  Show Profile
I don't know why you feel that an immobiliser is not suitable for our cars. Both my PA and my MGB GT have one fitted and I wouldn't be without them. I operate the switch every time I leave either car unattended, in the full knowledge that a fire is much less likely than if an immobiliser was not fitted.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2023 :  17:32:17  Show Profile
Colin are you in fact talking about a battery isolator switch? I suspect that the insurers are talking about somewhat different technology.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2023 :  10:21:28  Show Profile
I was indeed Roger - hence my puzzlement. Actually, my response led on from several recent posts about cars catching fire as a result of faulty cut-outs. I have no such fears.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2023 :  12:06:44  Show Profile
Electronics & trackers are all OK to a certain extent but sometimes in addition, a more basic solution is in order:

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2023 :  14:23:22  Show Profile
And now the latest Honda can be opened and started from your phone. How long before the "nasty" people sort that out?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2023 :  15:09:29  Show Profile
Dave, exactly my point, see: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/sophisticated-car-theft-gang-clone-28936521

An MMM car is a different matter though as the market would be much more restricted and probably a lot less lucrative. I would speculate that the biggest danger would be a car being stolen and broken up for spares, but the disposal of such parts would not be straight forward.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2023 :  16:49:52  Show Profile
A VMR member had his OHC Minor stolen some time ago and was broken up for spares (the car, not the member). We know this because the front bumper - with the number plate still attached - turned up on eBay a while later!
Go to Top of Page

Ktype

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2023 :  17:36:06  Show Profile
The point I am going to hear about is actual experience of a tracker on our kind of car because sooner or later insurers are going to demand it
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2023 :  18:57:28  Show Profile
I have one of these fitted in my trailer but it would work equally well in a car - https://chargemetrix.com/shop/product/motor-home-rv-remote-battery-monitor/ - with the additional GPS module.

The company is going to be introducing geofencing in the coming weeks I understand which will alert you if the device moves outside a predefined area. It can then be tracked via a web app.

It’s not a perfect solution but for a fiver a month for the GSM data connection it’s not bad value. It wouldn’t satisfy insurance requirements but it provides a bit of peace of mind.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000