Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Noisy differential
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  09:46:05  Show Profile
My M-type diff is noisy at about 35 to 40 mph, otherwise OK. I understand that new crown wheel and pinion assys are not readily available. I am concerned that if (after dismantling) I find it U/S I will have no alternative but to convert it by using, say, an "A" series cwp. I have done this before (on my F-type and a couple of TC's) and it is an excellent and usually straightforward mod, but on an M-type it would be necessary to alter the tailshaft etc and I am reluctant to do this (it is a remarkably original car). Has anyone had success in overhauling one of these diffs (lapping, etc) and are pinion bearings available?

gb

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  17:22:26  Show Profile

Hi Barry,

You might want to try the Vintage Morris website and clubs as I managed to get a new (old stock) CWP suitable for my M a few years back. I also know that a fellow M owner close to home has also recently found a suitable CWP for his car after a nasty failure on a trial!

On rebuilding them I followed the standard "in box" instructions (plus some reference to the MMM 4 cylinder road cars book!!) and rebuilt mine with no problems, it did another 1500 miles before I replaced with the Ftype!!

Try the VMR site as starter...

Glenn

F0993 F1 Tourer
Red and Rough but Running
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  17:53:01  Show Profile
The gears for our cars are readily available from Guest Gears. The crown wheel and pinion can be made with 6 bolt fitting for your M type or 8 bolt for the 4 star diffs.
Contact Details are (via Google)

Address:
Guest Gears
Higham Mead,
Higham Road,
Chesham,
Buckinghamshire, HP5 2AH, UK
Telephone:(01494) 794667
Fax: (01494) 794668
They also make many other gears for our Triple-M cars.

Regardsą. Terry
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Evans

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  09:05:21  Show Profile
The M type 9/44 crown wheel and pinion can be difficult to get but many alternatives like the Morris 8 3/37 or later Minor 8/43 sets are available new or second hand. Another useful contact would be Roger Furneaux - detail on the T Register New Spares web site

Cheers
Jeremy

M-Type 2M/0617
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  10:34:35  Show Profile
Many thanks for the replies which I have printed for possible future contact. I think that I will go ahead and remove the cw&p now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000