Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 A Late Summer gathering Herts/Essex ?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2023 :  17:04:01  Show Profile
Not of course wishing to tread on the toes of the Green families excellent late spring annual triple M gathering in Farnham Royal Middx each year . Would there be enough interest for something similar here on the borders of Herts and Essex in a 15 acre field with a lake late summer we could arrange some catering line up the cars , concours sit around chatting in the sunshine etc free admission , give you another good reason for exercising your cars , room for trailers and non triple M drivers as well. If you are interested email richardhinton50@gmail.com in the first instance to gauge if there could be enough interest first .

Richard Hinton

Edited by - Richard Hinton on 30/03/2023 17:07:17

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2023 :  11:11:05  Show Profile
Sounds good, Richard. I am interested in coming along, and I think my PA would also like come along. I look forward to receiving further details in due course.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2023 :  18:35:57  Show Profile
OK Colin thank you for your reply - you are only the second so far to write in .

I have a J1 Salonette and I have been to the late Peter Green's gathering several times. Since then I have managed to purchase this property alongside my house and it struck me it would make a suitable venue and last year I had a meeting here of the Historic Lotus Register film attached to give you some ideas. https://youtu.be/YNRFOfeRnnA
Obviously we would need a critical number of members seriously interested in attending before we could make it a firm proposition and a sanctioned club event organised and publicised by MMM if the principal wished to do that ? - it could be any Saturday or Sunday really from June to September. But not close to the Green's date for obvious reasons

We will await response before thinking about making it a fixture but only if there is enough interest and if this spot has enough catchment area for a good enough turn out .

Thanks

Kind Regards

Richard

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2023 :  18:56:06  Show Profile
Hi Richard,
I would be interested and might bring my M Type. I could bring it through London rather than around the M25, which is a bit too scary, and I wouldn't have to pay the ULEZ charge!
I will watch out for the date.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2023 :  19:51:28  Show Profile
Hello Keith nice to hear from you . That is a good point pre war braking distances are challenging with modern traffic . Maybe if it was say a Sunday traffic levels in London might be at a low point making it less stressful ? out of central London north Blackwall tunnel and M11 or old A11 , Think Stansted Airport area.

Richard Hinton

Edited by - Richard Hinton on 31/03/2023 19:54:51
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2023 :  22:03:35  Show Profile
Richard, it's not my braking distances that puts the fear of God into me its the difference in closing speeds. An M Type flat out with a trailing wind and maybe slightly downhill could do 65 mph for a bit but come to any sort of incline it will be down to 40mph. Sitting in a plywood box at that speed with lorries coming up to you at near on 70 mph is the scary bit especially when they don't seem to pay that much attention to relative speeds. I think the through London route sound safer.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

rapide

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2023 :  00:13:58  Show Profile
Brilliant idea . I am sure there would be quite a few takers from this area . video looks impressive.

Should dates not clash I could attend with my vintage Atco and a bag of miracle grow.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2023 :  06:38:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Keith Durston

Richard, it's not my braking distances that puts the fear of God into me its the difference in closing speeds. An M Type flat out with a trailing wind and maybe slightly downhill could do 65 mph for a bit but come to any sort of incline it will be down to 40mph. Sitting in a plywood box at that speed with lorries coming up to you at near on 70 mph is the scary bit especially when they don't seem to pay that much attention to relative speeds. I think the through London route sound safer.
Keith

Absolutely Keith, other road users have simply no idea about just how different it is in a low powered car from 90 years ago. So backwater routes, day of the week , time of day all make a difference in the experience .A lot of London for instance has just gone 20 mph limits if you are lucky enough to find space to reach such heady heights! People would be welcome to travel say early Sunday morning if that would help and indeed there is plenty of room and access for trailers for a piece of mind visit should people wish.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2023 :  06:55:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rapide

Brilliant idea . I am sure there would be quite a few takers from this area . video looks impressive.

Should dates not clash I could attend with my vintage Atco and a bag of miracle grow.

You are right there . Early last August we had gone about 8 weeks without any real rain and normally green sword had gone from brown to nearly white . Yesterday in contrast after weeks of rain there was monsoon like rain and standing water everywhere this morning - it is not much like spring at the moment . By all means if anyone would like to suggest which month and indeed dates which might avoid clashes it would all be useful info . Not essential to come in a triple M car if yours is hors de combat , more recent MGs, sports cars or something old or rare or interesting is always nice to see too in a separate line up . You can bring deck chairs folding tables and your own picnic plus interested family and friends if you wish even dogs strictly on a lead - there are ducks and geese .Any other ideas and volunteer organisers on the day most welcome

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2023 :  07:18:53  Show Profile
If we should go ahead and it depends entirely on the response it would of course not be on the scale of the annual Summer Gathering that the late Peter Green and his family so kindly run and has been built up over so many years to the size and quality it is today here would be far smaller I feel sure . Here is Elizabeth's announcement at the beginning of this year

Posted - 31/01/2023 : 12:35:33 Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote

Hello everyone.

I am pleased to confirm that this year's Summer Gathering will take place on Sunday, 25th June, at its usual venue of Greenacres, Purton Lane, Farnham Royal. Please do put the date in your diary and I will be in touch again when entries open.

If you haven't been before and would like further information on the event please do not hesitate to get in touch via email: e.taylor@oakend.net.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

This was at a Farnham Royal gathering

I have no wish at all to detract from their turnout , superb hospitality, facilities and events in the day , so certainly if we were to do it keep well clear of their fixture date .
As a guide they are west of London in the Slough-Windsor region I am 59 miles from there ( an hour and a quarter +)and due north of London about 10 miles west of Stansted Airport/Bishops Stortford for those of you familiar with that roughly between the A10 and the A11. and M11

Richard Hinton

Edited by - Richard Hinton on 01/04/2023 07:37:44
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2023 :  11:30:54  Show Profile
We are going to need a great deal more interest to make it worthwhile .

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2023 :  11:08:20  Show Profile
So far 6 people have expressed interest in attending such a summer get together, it would be something along these lines if we do it .
Free admission hot food and drinks to purchase if you wish welcome to bring tables for your own bring and buy parts etc . Any other ideas welcome .

Richard Hinton

Edited by - Richard Hinton on 04/04/2023 11:13:19
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2023 :  17:11:05  Show Profile
8 favourable responses so far maybe we also invite a T Type class ?

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2023 :  14:18:30  Show Profile
Anyone else like to express an interest for a club meeting in East Hertfordshire late summer ?

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2023 :  14:04:19  Show Profile
Any more takers ? not really enough interest so far .

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

William Cullen

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2023 :  18:55:27  Show Profile
Hi I live in Essex and would like to bring along my Magna

Bill
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked