Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Build Date & Release Date Questions
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

John Brinkmann

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2023 :  18:00:36  Show Profile
Are the factory files for competitiion models missing?

John
J3752
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6115 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2023 :  18:54:59  Show Profile
They’re certainly not at Kimber House.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Franklin

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2023 :  19:39:36  Show Profile
Hello again,
I appreciate all the input. As Lew Palmer wrote and I stated previously, the Build Date & Release Date terminology is not mine. Those terms are found in the factory file tab in the history section for my car. I'll try and attach a picture of the page so we can get past the questions about the accuracy of the terminology. I started this thread because I thought it would be helpful to have a clear understanding of what the build date and release date could mean. Yes I have the chassis files from the MGCC. The correspondence available in the file indicates my car had been to at least 3 different dealers during April and May BEFORE the release date of May 11, 1935. So naturally I'm curious about the meaning of the release date. Thanks again, Dick

Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2023 :  19:46:46  Show Profile
As mentioned previously (yesterday) I spoke to Pete in Kimber House this afternoon.
He prefers 'Build Ledgers' even though in previous conversations 'Build Sheets' and Build Books has been used.
He confirms that the 'Build Ledgers' relate to the dates of the issue of Guarantee plates.
He adds that as long as the two of us know what each other means, ca ne fait rien.
I'll continue to use 'Build Sheets' and Build Books'!
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2023 :  19:48:57  Show Profile
Dick/Franklin,
As I said previously, the terminology on the Register website does not match the terms used by the factory. The 'Date of Build' (a meaningless term, in my view) corresponds to the date of issue of the guarantee plate, and the 'release date' (another meaningless term) corresponds to the date of delivery on the card sent from the Sales Department to the Service Department. In most cases the date of delivery will simply be the date the car was delivered to the selling agent but perhaps with coachbuilt cars further clarity is needed. Do you have this card for your car?

P.S. Why are the ledgers called anything other than 'Issue of Guarantee Plates' ledgers? After all, that’s what’s written on their covers

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 01/08/2023 19:51:14
Go to Top of Page

Franklin

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2023 :  20:10:17  Show Profile
Hi Simon,
I was not given a copy of this card when I requested and received copies of my chassis files, so I was quite surprised when I saw that additional information existed. I will contact the club to get a copy. The explanations you have provided regarding the build date / release date terminology make sense. What doesn't make sense (without additional information that probably no longer exists) is why my Airline was built in October 1934, was shunted to a number of different dealers, returned to The Works for rectification multiple times, and then apparently released to the dealer Arthur Gell in May 1935. A Gell didn't sell the car until November 1935 by which time the PBs had been released and the PAs were steeply discounted. More questions than answers I'm afraid. IF and this is a big IF, the car was a works demonstrator it would explain why it was kicking around for so long. However, much of the internal correspondence related to the rectification requirements indicate the repairs were needed immediately as "the sale depends on it" - which indicates it was not a a works demonstrator. Many Thanks! for your patience with my inquiries. Dick
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2023 :  20:24:04  Show Profile
Dick,
Since the delivery date, presumably to Gell's, is known, it may be that the 'dispatch card' (for lack of a better term) does exist with that date on it although it’s not likely to add anything to what you know already. But worth asking Ineke if she could check it out for you.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2023 :  21:21:38  Show Profile
RX9981 was a works demonstrator and the chassis file contains several requests for immediate repair. It would seem that demonstrators did suffer a bit. Also sales might depend on it but they would have been other sales of other cars...

RX9981 was with the MGCC at Abingdon, I think dealers also had demonstrators and it is this role that your car might have been fulfilling.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2023 :  17:03:58  Show Profile
So, is it possible to determine how long I actually took to assemble a J2 - start to finish? One day is mentioned in this thread as a nlikely - 2 days? 3?

MSH
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6115 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2023 :  17:46:37  Show Profile
Mark,
There doesn’t seem to be any way of determining this. I’ve had many discussions with Mike Allison about exactly what happened on the line and the only dates there are are the date of issue of guarantee plate, when the engine was matched to the chassis, and the delivery date of the car to the selling agent or distributor. So we don’t know how long it took from the chassis getting its axles and starting down the line until the engine was fittted. Nor do we know how long it then took to reach the end of the line. And even then, this photo of the dispatch area shows cars still waiting to have their bonnets and headlights fitted after they had left the line.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2023 :  18:46:17  Show Profile
Thank you Simon for this update - I would imagine it will remain a mystery! Birthdays will have to be celebrated on the date of issue of the guarantee plate.#129346;

MSH
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2023 :  18:48:48  Show Profile
PS: not sure how that number attached itself to the end of my post - it was meant to be the emoji of two clinking champagne glasses…

MSH
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6115 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2023 :  19:40:09  Show Profile
You can’t add emojis from your keyboard - only from the selection visible when using 'Reply to Topic', not the 'Quick Reply'.

I’ll be celebrating J3437’s 90th anniversary on 18 August - the date it was first registered.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000