Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Abbey bodied N type advert
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  00:35:08  Show Profile
In the 1970's on the inside cover of one of the MMM Newsletters, there was a copy of an advert by Abbey bodies of their two seater Abbey bodied N type. (similar in look to an ND)
I would like to find which magazine that this was originally printed in and would also like to know when it first appeared.
I have checked both Motor Sport and Light Car from November 1934 to May 1935, but it is not in these. Does anybody have any information?
I own the earliest of the three known survivors, my car being registered in mid February 1935. It then won a Premier award in the 1935 Lands End Trial in April 1935. (Oh how they abused new cars then!).
I believe my car is the actual one shown in the advert and in the publicity photograph reproduced in Mike Allison's book.
Does anybody have The Motor or Autocar for that period, or perhaps the advert appeared in Safety Fast?
Many thanks
Rod

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  10:04:32  Show Profile

If you know someone obliging, who is also a member of the VSCC, you might be able to access their superb Library and archive facility, where all '30s magazines are present and where research facilities are available..

Go to Top of Page

Gene

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  13:53:52  Show Profile
Might I suggest an excellent source that is open to the public: the automotive history library at the National Motor Museum, Beaulieu. The contact person is Patrick Collins, Enquiries Officer. His phone is 01590 614738. While there is a charge to research and photocopy materials, it is well worth it. Gene

Gene
Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  20:46:32  Show Profile
Bob
Many thanks for your suggestion. I am a member of the VSCC and they have already checked Motor Sport and Light Car for me. The service was excellent. Unfortunately their copies of The Motor and Autocar are bound volumes, which do not have the adverts included.
Regards
Rod
Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  23:55:54  Show Profile
Gene
I've just realized that I haven't thanked you for your reply. Sorry!
I have been following up various leads, and I know from Mike Allison that the advert appeared in the August 1935 edition of the Sports Car.
As my car was registered in February 1935, I feel that it must have been advertised somewhere else at an earlier date.
Next stop the National Motor Museum!
Many thanks for your help
Rod

Edited by - rodm on 22/01/2009 23:56:34
Go to Top of Page

Gene

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  20:44:35  Show Profile
Rod: tell Patrick that Gene the crazy American librarian sent you! Good hunting.
Gene

Gene
Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  23:34:47  Show Profile
Gene
I phoned Patrick before I got your posting.
Unfortunately, all their copies are bound, which means the adverts were not included in the binding, so he cannot help.
I also contacted the MGCC library, to try to check their copies of the MG Magazine published between 1933 and 1935.
Again a similar problem -the magazines are bound and the front and rear covers which may have included the adverts are taken off before the bindings!
I am now trying Gaydon!
Regards
Rod
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  23:54:37  Show Profile
Rod,

I have just looked through my copies of the MG Magazine and there is no advert for the Abbey bodied N type, so that is one less magazine you have got to look through.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  16:56:16  Show Profile
Peter
Thank you for looking and letting me know.
As you say another one off the list!

Rod
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  08:55:31  Show Profile
During the 1970's I purchased a Wolseley Hornet Special and joined the WHS Club in the UK. The club winter edition 1973-4 magazine featured "The Autocar" adverts from all the body builders offering bodies for the Wolseley Hornet Special Chassis. Abbey are featured from The Autocar April 8th 1932 featuring a Connolly drawing of their body on a WHS chassis. All the clubs magazines of that period were full of body builder adverts. I would suggest contacting the WHSC as their archive seemed to be of a large nature back in the 70's and possibly is still intact and may contain the magazine copy you are looking for.

Hope this helps in your search

Rod Brayshaw NZ
Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  23:54:52  Show Profile
Rod
Thank you for your suggestion.
Rod
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic