Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Chassis Numbers
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Franklin

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2023 :  02:27:36  Show Profile
What parts on an MG PA will have the chassis number stamped into it?
I know the chassis number is found on the very front of the right side chassis rail. Of course it is also found on the Brass Guarantee Plate. I'm currently stripping a PA chassis and finding numbers on the front axle (#1402) and the cross member for the steering column mounting bracket (#0350) in the attached picture. The numbers I've found don't match my chassis number so I'm curious as to their origin & what other parts will carry the chassis number. To be clear, I'm not talking about the "135" that designates a PA.

I apologize for this post because I'm sure this has been covered many times but I'm unable to find the existing threads.

Many thanks for your responses,

Franklin

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6116 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2023 :  08:53:24  Show Profile
Franklin,
Only the front knuckle of the chassis on the driver's side carries the chassis number (apart from the guarantee plate, of course).

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1935 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2023 :  09:14:23  Show Profile
Most bonnets (hoods) also have the chassis number stamped on the inside of the centre hinge.

Edited by - coracle on 07/11/2023 09:25:40
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3369 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2023 :  12:39:42  Show Profile
Franklin
Welcome to the forums.
If you look up in the top right hand area of the main forum page, above were is says LOGOUT, you will see some underlined menu items in blue. Click on Search and you will be presented with the search box. Enter the words you are searching for, and click "archived posts" (assuming you are looking for Technical help. I normally archive posts in the General and Technical forums that are more than 3 months old). This will find all topics containing the words you searched for (depending on whether you chose "Match exact phrase", "Search for all words" the default or "Match any of the words". The latter choice will produce many pages of hits).
Also take a look at the menu item "FAQ", you will find quite a bit of guidance in there.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2023 :  15:07:15  Show Profile
Hello.

What is the chassis number of your PA, is your car an early example say around PA0120?

I believe that the number 350 is stamped on during manufacture as this is the only bolted cross tube on production cars. Each frame must have had some identification when delivered to the works as M.G. must have some identification so that they could be invoiced against delivery.

These cross tubes were first used on the L Type the first with the large cam engine.

Similar numbers on the J series cross tubes. PA Type cross tube brackets fit the Marles Weller Steering. The later PB series have different cross tubes for the Bishops cam steering.

Allan Bentley
Go to Top of Page

Franklin

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2023 :  15:42:26  Show Profile
Hello All, Thank you for your comments. Nick I did try the FAQ & the search box but had no success. Perhaps I started this thread at the wrong spot? My curiosity about numbers arose when my engine rebuilder found the front gear housing was stamped 1384. He says this part came from another car because my engine is 1886. MG experts please advise whether or not what he says is true. I don't have any experience regarding the number matching game. My car's Chassis number is PA 1623. I find it interesting as I've stripped the chassis to note the following numbers stamped into various parts: gearbox #1401 / 135, front axle #1402 / 135, differential case #1388/135, firewall support brackets (both Left & Right) #1121/2 & as noted earlier the steering column mount cross member is #0350. Of course there are many other smaller parts with numbers that appear to simply be parts numbers with no correlation to car model or chassis number. Honestly one of the reasons for my curiosity about the significance of these numbers is my car was originally gray but as I've removed and cleaned parts I've found a lot of the front end parts have green paint - suggesting they came from another car. Best Regards & Thanks for your thoughts, Franklin
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2023 :  16:44:50  Show Profile
Dick (Franklin), Yes, the front gear case was often stamped with the engine number, as it needs to be a snug fit and the alignment with the block needs to be spot on. Most other numbers you find are part numbers or casting pattern numbers, and not specific to a single car, but sometimes just to the model. 135 is the designation for the single breather PA so if a part was for that model, it likely carried that number.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, NA0651
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2023 :  19:11:29  Show Profile
While cleaning the chassis of J3752, A very professional second chassis number was found stamped on the outside left side rail near the lower front wing support. It led me to check the chassis from a wrecked J2, where nothing was found.

John Brinkmann.
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1044 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2023 :  07:41:03  Show Profile
I think everyone is missing a big poole of knowledge here in not referring to the yearbooks or old printed registers.
The yearbook index shows a promising article in the 2016 yearbook (yes I am to lazy to walk up 2 flights of stairs and check it out)
And the printed register alsway had an explanation of a lot of the nrs found on a MMM

Onno "J,D,M" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2023 :  11:53:14  Show Profile
Hello John.
I understood that they often stamped the chassis number on the frame so it was clearly visible on cars used for International competition, such as the Monte Carlo Rally etc. In particular cars used on reliability trials like the Alpine, where they often marked or wire locked key parts so they were not replaced during the trial. In 1934 Alpine they wire locked the radiator caps so that no water could be added during the trial!
Your car has an extensive European competition history, so this may be the reason for the number on the chassis rail.
Allan B
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2023 :  16:57:17  Show Profile
Thank you, Allan. I suspected as much. The fact that the chassis number was placed where it could readily be seen supports your words. There is other evidence as well, as on the water manifold.

John.

Edited by - John Brinkmann on 11/11/2023 17:02:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000