Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Annual servicing
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phunter121

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2023 :  21:45:10  Show Profile
I have recently been blessed with the arrival of a 1935 MG PA. The car has been fully rebuilt, but had very few miles in the last 5 years.

I want to give it a service and wondered if there were any documents out there that just focus on this and perhaps current oils/grease that are used?

I can see lots of detailed manuals available on this website, but nothing basic.

Peter Hunter

Kaklemmer

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2024 :  22:34:49  Show Profile
Congratulations. It would be good to determine first if modern multigrade detergent oil has been used or straight weight, non-detergent. Best to remain consistent. As far as gear oil, bronze safe varieties, ie GL4 is important. May want to flush the coolant as well.

Edited by - Kaklemmer on 10/01/2024 22:35:20
Go to Top of Page

Ktype

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2024 :  12:57:58  Show Profile
Hello Peter
Do you know what is in the car now? If it has Castrol R engine oil for example you are (pretty much) committed to that.
What do you plan to use the car for? If you might be doing some competition you would want better gearbox and axle oil. Just touring is not so demanding.
Whatever, given what you have said I would suggest you change everything
I hope it is a lot of fun!
Paul
Go to Top of Page

phunter121

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2024 :  13:15:28  Show Profile
Thanks folks, I don't know what is in there at the minute...It did'nt occur to me that you can't mix oil?

Peter Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Ktype

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2024 :  13:32:11  Show Profile
Castrol R is a vegetable base oil which does not mix with mineral oils. Whichever you have now you are stuck with! R works well with Triple M engines because it does not breakdown under the load of our narrow bearings. Against that, it goes gummy or waxy when residual water gets in the sump so needs changing regularly like annually which is a good idea anyway. Plus, on a day like today the engine would not turn as R is not multigrade and so treacle in the cold.
If your oil is black and smells well like oil it is mineral
If it has a blue/purple tinge and has a sweet smell it is R
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2024 :  17:17:05  Show Profile
I didn't think you could mix Castrol R with any other oil, and if left it can leave a nasty sticky residue.
Modern oils produced for older cars today are extremely superior to what was available in the day, as is the petrol. We were always cleaning out the carburettors of a horrid brown substance.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000