Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 leaf spring binding/laceing
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JDoe

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  13:23:57  Show Profile
does anyone have any instructions on how to bind leaf springs with cord? what sort of knots are used at the start and finish of the binding? how is the zig-zag pattern created?

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  14:49:47  Show Profile

Spring gaiters ( Wefco, etc..) were used in period and, more importantly, IMHO, protect the spring, aid lubrication and are easily removed for maintenance. They do not harbour old oil and road grit in the way that bound springs - or bound steering-wheels - do. 'Drevo'-style tape is better, if cheapness is important.

I have just removed, during a rebuild, a period repair binding on the wooden frame longeron of a c.1930 Allen 'Firefly Racer' steerable toboggan. True to type, this was full of abrasive grit, damaging the wood below.

How does it go? I wait for some snow!

Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  22:25:45  Show Profile
Andrew,

There is some information in the previous posting "Binding of Sprngs" started in April 2006 by Cymber. I would agree with Bob's comment if the springs were only bound with the Glace cord - but having greased the springs, before binding you should put on two layers of the old style cotton insulation tape and then bind them. This keeps the dirt out, but I grant you that Wefco style gaiters are best of all for cleanliness.

Binding is far easier to demonstrate than to describe - indeed it is often said it is a process handed down from father to son! The Musketeers had bound springs and I have done the fronts on mine - for each half spring (e.g. front eye to the axle clamp) you need about 10 yards of cord and the start point is little more than a yard from one end. The longer length is used to do the wrapping and the short piece is used to tie the overhand knot after each turn. You nest the knots next to each other, creating the zig-zag pattern - so that the binding continues to be at right angles to the spring. You also need to stretch the full length of cord before starting and also to wear a glove on your right hand because otherwise continued pulling it tight soon causes grief. As I said, it is easier to show than to tell, but I will see if I can dig out some photographs of work in progress.

John R

Edited by - John Reid on 24/01/2009 22:33:35
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  17:59:01  Show Profile
Andrew,
to bind my springs (and steering wheel), I used standard natural (hemp)cord with a thickness of about 2,5mm. Modern nylon cord, often black or white, looks so modern, and the hemp-cord still is OK after 25 years of driving.
I did it using a single tread (not two simultaneous), and after each turn of the loop, I went under the previous loop, pulled the cord hard back, and then continued with the next loop. The zig-zag pattern arises automatic, and the spacing of the pattern mostly results from the thickness of the cord used.
Prior to binding with the cord, to keep the springs greased, and to prevent corrosion, you can bind them with plumbers greasy tape.
After the binding was done, I painted the cord with linseed-oil.

As John says, is far easier to demonstrate than to describe, especially when English is not your home-language.
I could let you have some pictures, if I get your e-mail address.

Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  18:30:16  Show Profile
Andrew

I have bound the springs on L2023, the method is as described so ably by both John and Gerhard whose English is very good!

I cleaned and greased the springs leaf by leaf and then bound them with a cotton based tape, as used to bind handle bars in cycling, before using the glace cord.

I bought the cord from a firm in Bristol - I have the address if you want it. The cord is only sold in white so it is necessary to dye it first. I bought the dye from John Lewis and used the washing machine to dye it; my wife was not too convinced but the machine was OK after a rinsing cycle was used.

As John states - wear gloves!

George
Go to Top of Page

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  08:21:19  Show Profile
George,
I bought some Glace cord for spring binding some years ago and it was already dyed a light green, I bought it from Odell & co ltd, in Milton Keynes, I seem to remember that it was quite expensive for what it was.
Regards Ron
Go to Top of Page

JDoe

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  19:07:54  Show Profile
thanks for the info and advice.
the cord is on order so I'll have a bash at binding the springs soon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000