Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 SU dashpot caps for PA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DSW

Germany
95 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  19:37:04  Show Profile
Can anyone shed some light on the correct style of the brass dashpot screw caps for a PA?
I have 2 differing ones (one in brass with a slot, one of black plastic), and have seen all sorts around (hexagonal, knurled edge, with writing stamped in, etc.).
As I must now rebuild the carbs I thought I would donate them the proper cap(s) too.

David

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  19:45:36  Show Profile
David,

As far as I know they should be round with a knurled edge. The Hexagonal and black plastic ones are to modern.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  20:26:40  Show Profile
Hi David,

I am sure that Peter is correct. The original caps were circular brass with a knurled edge. Some of those that I have seen have had screw driver slots and a small hole for light oil to lubricate the piston in the central guide boss, and others merely the oil hole. Our carburettors did not have the oil filled dashpot damper as original, and I am fairly sure that all the black plastic caps will either have the piston for these or else will show where it has been removed.

The use of these dampers has been debated in this forum, and I certainly found that they helped me to tune my 11/4" H2 carburettor set up, but that I do not really miss them if things are right with the original 1" OMs.

Good luck with your search for the brass caps. Whilst not quite in the hen's teeth category, they are certainly not common and should be snapped up on sight.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  22:46:17  Show Profile
David the correct ones as described by Peter are available from Burlen Services of Salisbury.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  23:12:22  Show Profile
David,

I have posted a picture on the Technical Information forum.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

DSW

Germany
95 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  17:20:56  Show Profile
Thank you very much everyone.
I was not expecting such quick and detailed responses and especially the instant photography by Peter.

Interestingly the Burlen carburettor web page does not assign the cap a part number, and searching for "dashpot" and "damper" cap gave a blank. However now that I have been given the number, entering just "AUC 2144" lists many cap variants. It is obviously not so easy to make perfect web pages! I will get a smart pair of "Bicycle oil" ones sent.
Now, who can explain the original spec. of bicycle oil ..... (no, I don't want to start anything!)
David
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  18:53:39  Show Profile
David

When I were a lad, we used "3 in 1" oil for our bikes. I have a tin on the shelf over my bench as I still use it extensively including for my carbs.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  19:54:08  Show Profile
Hi Peter,

"3 in 1" oil as such was indeed recommended for some varieties of the hydraulic piston dampers. I think that these were the earlier ones as an unreliable memory says that some post war dampers needed 20W-50 SAE engine oil to delay the rise of the dashpot piston even more and thus increase the enrichening effect.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  10:09:06  Show Profile
Andy

I agree that SU dampers need SAE30 or thereabouts. As we have no dampers on our cars the 3in1 is used for lubrication purposes only.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  10:14:29  Show Profile
My TC (car no 3885, engine no 4543) left the factory in October 1947 without piston dampers but these were fitted free of charge by the dealers here in Adelaide during its first service. I have conducted quite a few experiments on my F-type Magna and found that the car accelerates at its best (by far) when using the (original)heavy brass pistons (which do not have dampers). I have found that the behaviour of the piston (and mixture needle) do not seem to be very well understood by many MG owners. The taper of the needle really only affects the fuel/air ratio at constant engine speeds, under acceleration etc the speed of the air over the jet has a far greater influence and keeping the piston down increases this speed (and "suction") and therefore results in richer mixture. Damper oil viscosity is a much debated topic, suffice it to say that in our temperate climate, engine oil seems to give by far the best acceleration in piston-dampened MGA's and MGB's.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000