Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Radiators
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2009 :  11:23:07  Show Profile
Jan, I used a cheap bow saw from the local hardware store and fitted a piece of power hacksaw blade to the frame. The bow saw has the advantage of being able to mount the blade at a right angle to the frame so you can saw the whole height of the old core. In retrospect, the power hacksaw blade may not have been necessary as the honeycomb was very thin and a fine tooth general-purpose blade (that does not tear the honeycomb tubes too much) may well have done the job even if it became a "throw-away" upon completion! A cheap wood-saw (again with fairly fine teeth) might also have done it.
Go to Top of Page

Tamara

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  16:03:17  Show Profile
Ok.

We bit the bullet and have commissioned a replacement honeycomb in brass, using the original headers to maintain the authenticity as far as possible. We may not be able to afford food now for the next ten months but at least the old girl will remain running for another 20 years or so eh?

I still have not managed to find anybody definitive to repair a crack and rechrome the surround, so if anyone has a reliable contact, drop me a line please. Hubbie will quite happily travel nationwide.

Tamara.
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  12:46:37  Show Profile
You may wish to contact: Derby Plating Services Derby.
If you google this firm you will get the address, contact details and a map. I would discuss your needs with them as I think they may be able to effect a repair and replate. They are not cheap and such plating as I have had done was good quality.

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Tamara

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2009 :  23:44:13  Show Profile
We had the surround "repaired"; it was, shall we say, disappointing. I am now trying to find someone to make a replacement as the old item has frankly been reduced to nothing more than scrap.

Any advice would be appreciated; vintage radiators up in ye olde midlands appear unable or unwilling as they never return any calls.

The core repair (Hornet in Watford) was an overwelming success. Roy did a wonderful job of supplying and fitting a new v-honeycomb core into the original headers. Not cheap, but thoroughly professional; and that coming from hubby, is praise indeed! We are tempted to have another made as he threatened to retire soon.

Now we need a bench seat, so I guess we wont be able to eat for another month. Another red cross food parcel then.

Oh, I nearly forgot. He who must be doted upon and humoured, recently bought a lathe with which to effect repairs to the fuel tank gauge. Does anyone else have to put up with machinery in the kitchen? Mother did warn me about sailors...

Tamara (& Adam).
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  04:43:49  Show Profile
Just a brief message to say that my M-type radiator core replacement has been completed, grille shell rechromed, etc. It all looks excellent but cost more, and more work to do, than I anticipated (filler had to be relocated in the original header tank, new bottom tank, etc). Still far cheaper than a replacement honeycomb core I think (and a lot of the same sort of work fitting it?).
Go to Top of Page

Tamara

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  11:36:59  Show Profile
We gave up with the disastrous repairer/chromer "off the M40" and are now having a new surround made by Heritage in Hampshire, for "around ú1450".

I will let you all know the outcome, but am secretly confident this time. This is turning into a particularly expensive M type!

Tamara.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  02:30:19  Show Profile
Sorry to hear that the job has become so expensive but no doubt you will get many years of enjoyment with your little M-type! Please let us know how it all turns out.
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2009 :  17:16:27  Show Profile
Hi Tamara,

This message may appear twice - my computer switched off whilst I was sending a previous message.

You may wish to look on eBay under MG JA which shows a J2 shell currently priced at about ú100. These are very similar to M Types but are about 1" longer. It's an easy job to " cut and shut " with silver solder and the M Type angle brackets make the job even easier. I can recommend someone who has done this job before.

May be of interest to you.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Tamara

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  16:06:02  Show Profile
Jan,
Unfortunately my grandfather would blow about in his box if he ever got wind that we had put the wrong shell on his beloved M type. Still, hubbie went over to see Heritage GB in Hants again today, and came back with the biggest grin I have ever seen. I presume he is still impressed with their efforts!
Fingers crossed, we should be in a position to get the new one polished by the end of next week then the very nice chap at London Chroming reckons he can chrome it within a week. Unfortunately, we may well miss Silverstone which is a great shame. Mind you, the engine has only just been rebuilt (by he who must be doted upon), and I fear the 300 mile round trip may not be the best means of "running in" the old girl. I watched him last night cutting up a beer barrel to use as a header tank in the absence of a radiator, as he couldnt sleep worrying whether he had rebuilt it correctly or not. Seems he got it right. Mind you, he is an engineer, but we have to sound impressed eh? Im hoping that flipping generator doesnt spew oil all over the engine bay again; she nearly caught fire last time that happened.
Talking of old, its the MG's 80th birthday in July! Sad I may be, but I intend to celebrate...
Tamara.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000