Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M-types with spare wheel mounted on the tail
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  00:18:26  Show Profile

The factory photograph seems to imply that the tail mounted spare wheel was a factory option. The second car (2M 0371 photographed in the 1950's) still has this fitting today. Does anyone know any more about this apparent option and do any other M-types still have this feature ?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 22/02/2009 18:26:00

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  11:14:41  Show Profile
Sam,

I'm pretty sure Mike Dowley's car had this fitting. There is a picture of it on this site. While you can't see the actual bracket you can just discern the wheel studs sticking out.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

Centric

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  17:01:04  Show Profile
Sam,

RX 6795, the 100 consecutive climbs of the Beggars Roost car, is still with us today. In fact she is just nearing the end of a complete rebuild and is entered for the Exmoor Rut. Whether she will make another 100 ascents for running inis debatable........

Alan Grassam
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  20:04:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sam christie

This is the spare wheel bracket fitted to 2M 371 (car in outdoor picture)which I imagine looks better now that it is repainted.
I recollect seeing a book on British police cars which I think pictured several M-types with this modification.
Presumably this was a practical option for boot space at the time though it does little for the lines.
I notice in the members cars photos that 2M 2697 once had something similar too.

Sam

Sam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000