Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Stoneleigh
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2009 :  18:30:51  Show Profile
Stoneleigh was a very good opener to the year's activities (not counting New Year's day). Well attended and good selection of stalls.

Many thanks to Ray Master for taking a garage clearance stall. It provided a focal point for forumists to meet one another. Nice to see a face and say hello to the names we see regulary on the forum. Not sure if Ray had a successful day or not. There appeared to be a lot more chatting than buying whilst I was there.

Thanks Ray, Peter

Tamara

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  15:02:28  Show Profile
Peter,

We too trundled up to Stoneleigh on Sunday, in the M type; my husband particularly enjoyed getting us lost whilst running on vapours!

I must say on a personal note, I found the meeting somewhat disappointing. Despite being a Naval Engineer Officer and holding an MEng, I struggled to find dealers who would respond in an unbiased manner to requests for advice from a female member of the fraternity. Most annoying was an episode where I was told "I could not buy a particular part, as it was not originally fitted to my M type"!!! (Is this normal?) I had to ask my husband to purchase the part; he obtained it without concern.

Still, a hearty thanks to the wonderful Mr. King for all his advice; reciprocated to some extent with a particularly large order. At least we now have 4 dampers, bonnet strap, fuel gauge, a dash and gauges in the garage, with mudguards, radiator and a surround in the pipeline.

Roll on four weeks time when I can fit them all; I must ensure hubby has the kettle on and gets the washing done before then (tee hee)

Tamara.

Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  15:29:08  Show Profile
Tamara

Sorry to hear that you had problems with some of the stall holders. In the main they are a friendly bunch but there definitely are exceptions. So pehaps not all of your probelms were due to being female. Andy King is one of the very friendly/helpful ones, whether you give him a large order or not.

Good luck with your M type.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  15:56:45  Show Profile
Thanks Peter for you kind words, I have to say that both Robin Gordon, who shared the stand with me,& myself had a very successful and enjoyable day. A big thank you to all who helped me get rid of a lot of stuff I had been looking at for the last 20 or 30 plus years!. You are right, Peter, the stand did seem to become a focal point for Triple-M members & it was,as you say, great to meet many old friends & put faces to names.At one point, I remember I was trying to talk to four people at once!. Could somebody do the same sort of thing for next Stoneleigh, I wonder. Again thanks to all & it was superb to meet everybody.
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  15:58:06  Show Profile
At last the GPS came up with the goodies and after taking us along very minor roads, past an aerodrome, it brought us out straight across from the entrance to the exhibition ground. Thanks to the two very kind drivers at the front of the queues we were able to drive straight in. Tamara - I suspect many readers will know who you were speaking to - don't worry gender wasn't the issue. Like yourself I find Stoneliegh, Silverstone and all of the other events where spares are for sale disapointing but I can remember a time when if the J2 by the entrance in the local scap yard didn't have the bits I needed one of the other half dozen in the undergrowth would have. Wonderful times longs since gone. Now the reason for this reply - what type of fuel gauge have you fitted in your M Type? Mine is a simple stick but I would be interested if something period could be fitted.

Cheers
Jan T
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  19:18:06  Show Profile
I thought Ray's stall was one of the best ( certainly the most welcoming) at Stoneleigh and supplied me with a couple of much needed parts. I also have to agree with Tamara that some (not all) and one in particular are not very helpful and only interested in emptying your wallet. I don't see why you could not buy a part from someone just because it wasn't originaly fitted to your car. If you wanted it and was willing to pay for it then it should have been sold to you regardless.

Fred..
Go to Top of Page

Mark Sellick

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  13:21:40  Show Profile
Dear All,
You're not referring to the kindly gentleman with the fake c-type on his stand, are you? I've always found him to be the most helpful of folks ! If so, don't feel that you're alone, Tamara.
Many years ago, after much searching, my late Dad had found a nice pair of headlights for our TC (that's one with push-rods, for those that don't know!!!) at a show somewhere, and almost had to physically defend himself against said gent who was rather intent on buying them! An odd character, to my mind.
The good stall holders are always worth seeking out.
With best wishes,
Mark
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  14:04:59  Show Profile
Yes I too very much enjoyed Stoneliegh, but some how missed Ray's stall in the very crowded halls.

Jan, I purchased a "fuel sliding gauge" which fits into the top of the fuel tank (originally fitted to police vehicles in the 1930s) current offered by Vintage Car Parts for ú185.00 + VAT but available at the show for between ú30 & ú40 each.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2009 :  19:12:40  Show Profile
Without wishing to spoil a good story, I think this topic needs to end as it is at risk of getting a little too personal.
I am sorry Rodney, but I have decided to delete your response as I feel it might be construed as slanderous.
Nick
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000