Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 New price of ND's
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  22:52:15  Show Profile
Does anybody know what the advertised price was in 1934 for the ND?
I am curious as I own an Abbey bodied N type which was similar in looks to the ND. They made about 3-4 of these Abbey bodied cars in 1935 and were advertised at £375, which was about £80 dearer than the standard
2 seater N type! Cresta bodied cars were £375 as well - how much were Allingham bodied cars?

Rod

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  18:59:09  Show Profile
Hi Rod

If you are referring to the ND which was for sale in Sussex I believe the asking price was ú59995, a sale may have been agreed at a lower figure!

Regards
George.
2 seater NB
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
279 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  19:05:31  Show Profile
I think Rod is asking for the price of an ND when they were new in period. If so, I have always understood that the ND wasn't offered for sale through normal dealerships, I think they were reserved for 'friends of the factory'. So maybe the price depended on who you were. What say the wise?
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Eric Taylor

France
157 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  21:31:45  Show Profile
Hi,I don't know if this of use to anybody, but here is a scan of Glass' Guide for September 1937 for values of various MGs.

It doesn't mention the ND,but it's quite interesting, they'd give you ú50-60 cash for a J4?!!!

Regards, Eric Taylor

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  13:04:39  Show Profile
Terry

You are correct, Rod was asking the price of the cars when new!

I am amazed Eric has a copy of the Glass's Guide for September 1937. Collectively we must have a mass of original papers/magazines etc covering the era when our cars were new. For example I have the Motor Sport volumes which cover our cars. Would'nt it be great if we could arrange to preserve all this information in a central archive!

Regards George.
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  13:42:02  Show Profile
Hi George

A decent scanner and a few hours of spare? time is all it takes. A great number of old photographs have been scanned by yours truly to get the historical photo section up and running. Similar would be possible for all printed matter.

Regards

Robin
Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  19:28:50  Show Profile
Thank you to all those who have replied, particularly Eric with his very interesting Glass's guide.
If we worry about depreciation now you want to look closely at this guide when the cars were only 1-2 years old!!
Eric what does C B mean and also the 4-2-0 and 2-2-0 reference?
I assume the first figure relates to the number of seats, but what about the other numbers?
I now have the Allingham price, but I still don't know the ND price when new.
There must be somebody who knows!!!!!!!!!
Rod

Edited by - rodm on 05/03/2009 19:30:43
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  21:28:55  Show Profile
Eric wrote; what does C B mean and also the 4-2-0 and 2-2-0 reference?

Sticking my neck out I'm guessing;

Number of seats.
Number of doors.
Number of windows.

It seems to fit except for the C and Q and J4, regarding doors.

Complete Body?

Brian.

Edited by - Brian Kelly on 05/03/2009 21:30:24
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  08:19:53  Show Profile
Hi Robin, George et all,

Wouldn't it be great if we could have The Sports Car complementing The MaGazine retro pages? I believe Mike Hawke has a full set which could probably be scanned into pdf files, if not bound? I think they'd form - like The MaGazine - an incredible source of information!

Regards,
Cathelijne Spoelstra

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000