Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P type Exhaust Manifold Color
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dan F

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  01:51:30  Show Profile
I am thinking of having my P type exhaust manifold ceramic coated. I ran a search and saw there was some mixed results. My question is what is the proper color for a p type exhaust manifold, silver, gray, black or other.
Thanks,
Dan

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  08:44:08  Show Profile
rusty brown?
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  09:55:35  Show Profile
Hi,
The original colour for exhaust systems was black: they were painted with ordinary black paint for protection during storage. This quickly burnt off (high temp paints were "invented" during WW2) and so they quickly became rusty. Keen owners would use black lead grate polish to burnish the manifold, and those of us who race cars with external exhaust systems still do.
In over fifty years of running Triple-M cars, it is the only effective treatment which lasts.. at least for a week or so in Britains humid climate!
Best wishes,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  17:26:23  Show Profile
Some recommend using an oily rag; applied whilst the manifold is hot. In effect æbluingÆ the manifold. I have not tried it myself but intend to do so æwhen I have timeÆ. Obviously a job you need to do carefully.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

William Cullen

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2009 :  14:56:38  Show Profile
Hi Dan

My friends N type manifold was ceramic coated white and whilst it has now gone slightly grey it has shown no signs of rust, however it was very expensive and whats wrong with rusty on a well used car?

best regards

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2009 :  20:33:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by William Cullen

Hi Dan

My friends N type manifold was ceramic coated white and whilst it has now gone slightly grey it has shown no signs of rust, however it was very expensive and whats wrong with rusty on a well used car?

best regards

Bill

nothing at all Bill

Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000