Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Donington park
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  14:01:20  Show Profile
Does anybody kmow the wherabouts of any / all the entry lists for Donington Park races, pre war. Many were organised by D&DMC, Derby and District Motor Club.
I am trying to find "proof" that my car raced there in March 1934.
Unfortunatly, there is no library / archivist at Donington

Many thanks Ron Grant

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  14:37:49  Show Profile
Ron there is an excellent little book on pre war racing at Donnington. If you E mail me direct on tholden@supanet.com with any info you have like names of drivers and possible dates I will have a look when I get home later.
Regards

TH
Go to Top of Page

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  15:31:57  Show Profile
Hi Terry,
I think you are refering to the Bill Body book on Donington. I bought a copy but could find no referance to my car or the driver, E.H.Gehlken.
The story that came with the car, was that it was crashed at Donington in 1936, following which, the current "Q type"ish body was fitted. I could find no referance to Gehlken in Bill Body's book. I have even written to Bill Body hoping that he may even have known Gehlken, but he had never heard of him. We do know that he raced the car at Brooklands in June 1935 and won an award, but he was supposed to have raced at Donington in March 1934, but to date, are unable to prove it. Gehlken lived in Palmers Green, London, has anybody who lives now in that area, ever heard of that name?
Thanks for the offer Terry.
Regards Ron
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  19:04:08  Show Profile
Hi Ron
Yes that is the book I was thinking of. Bet some collector somewhere has some '34 Donnington programmes. Have you tried putting something up on the VSCC Forum ?
Good luck
Terry

TH
Go to Top of Page

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  19:12:41  Show Profile
Hi Terry,
No, I have not put anything on the VSCC forum, I am not a member. Following the letter to Bill Body, he very kindly put a half page "spread" in Motor Sport a few months ago, but nothing came of it. As you say, some collector out there must have some old programmes.
Regards Ron
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  20:33:34  Show Profile
Hi Ron

Have you tried Bealieu who I believe have an archive of old race programmes?

Regards George
Go to Top of Page

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  16:07:39  Show Profile
Hi George,
Thanks for the tip, I have not tried them.
Ron
Go to Top of Page

Wiessmann

Germany
87 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  22:25:30  Show Profile
Hi Ron,
the list of entries to the 1934 Donington Opening Meeting on March 24 was published in The Light Car Vol.XI.III No.IIII, Friday Mar 23 1934, p. 543.
E.H. Gehlken entered a 750cc supercharged MG Midged.
Best regards
Karl
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  09:02:09  Show Profile
Apologies if I am alerting people to something they already know about, but the excellent Austin Harris web site *may* be of help here - a bit of a long shot, but I wonder whether this photo is of the event you are talking about?

http://www.austinharris.co.uk/photo/1934-donington-park-race-meeting/144

best...

Hugh

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  12:07:46  Show Profile
Karl/Hugh,
Thanks for the info. I must, now I am home again, try and find my copy of the Bill Body book on Donington, and look specifically for that race. I just wonder if Gehlken may have been the "entrant" with someone else driving, and if this is the reason that I have not previously found referance to him.
I have studied the picture of the start of the race on the Austin Harris site, but was unable to identify my car. I am pretty sure that by this time, the original pointed tail body had been refitted, as there is a picture of Gehlken at the Lewes Speed Trials with the original body, at an earlier date. I presume that by this time, the lightweight TT body would have broken up.

Any further information greatfully received!
Ron
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000