Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Batteries
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3246 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  20:58:40  Show Profile
I have just fitted a new pair of 6 volt bateries to the NB. I sourced these from Lincon Batteries Ltd - www.lincon.co.uk/am

Lincon manufacture the batteries and can deliver them to your door. I noticed from their catalogue that they make and supply the long thin batteries (Ref L279 and 279L).

The price was very reasonable and the service very good. I have no connection - just a satisfied customer.

Nick - a name to be added to our list of suppliers?

George Eagle

Steve Cooper

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  21:36:36  Show Profile
Yes, we know about the long thin batteries - Lincon have been the sole manufacturers of these for some time now. Unfortunately, they don't have extended side pieces on top of the case with holes in for the fixing rods to go through as per the originals.

Steve (L2080).

Sorry Steve, I felt I had to edit your post.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3683 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  21:38:17  Show Profile
George

I had been using an old thin battery in my PA and it gave up about three weeks ago - not helped, probably by being perhaps overcharged by my 8 amp 3-brush system.

Anyway I rang Lincon and they supplied a replacement at a fairly reasonable price and the service received was exactly as you describe, and quick, too.

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743

Edited by - DickMorbey on 14/07/2009 21:38:55
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
506 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  22:53:46  Show Profile
FYI, The batteries are readily available in the USA from Interstate Battery, size 3EE.

It was great to see George and all the other terrific MMM enthusiasts once again at Silverstone. What a superb event! Ohio bound Thursday.

tommm
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  15:30:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Duncombe

Dick
It is quite possible to fit a regulator (RB106) to your three brush system to avoid cooking the battery. It is not necessary to have a two brush dynamo.

.....an even simpler solution is to 'turn down the wick' a bit on your three brush dynamo. As long as you don't use the headlights for extended periods of time. This is what I did to my car. It discharges a little with the headlights on but I don't use them very much. I used to have to regularly top up the battery but now hardly ever and it stays fully charged.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2009 :  11:25:47  Show Profile
I have been through this exercise, what was frustrating was that I had my (3-brush) generator rewound and tested (and set at 7 amps or so) but it did not charge when fitted to the car! I then hid a small alternator running off the tailshaft and finally a young "sparky" got the genny to charge (I think that I had the wiring wrong). However, all of this is now "water under the bridge" because I keep automatic chargers on my cars at all times (through the dashboard "plugs" in the case of my pre-war cars). That way the batteries are always fully charged, the electrolyte does not "boil" away and the batteries probably last longer. All of this is considerably simpler than trying to get reluctant generators to work!
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
881 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2009 :  17:55:25  Show Profile
Talking about batteries :
Has somebody experiences with those battery-pulsers ?

I donÆt mean the trickle chargers, which keep the battery happy whilst the car is not used.
Those battery-pulsers obviously give permanently 20 V pulses with 8000 Hz, whilst the battery is charged. They say that avoids sulfatation, and even can bring back a sulfated scrap battery to near original capacity.
The batteryÆs life ist told to be doubled, at least !

äGooglingô showed some web-sites :
http://www.courtiestown.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.novitec.de/uebersicht_engl.htm
http://www.duoregen.com/pulse.htm
Any practical knowledge ?

Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

ronald

Switzerland
35 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2009 :  18:34:27  Show Profile
Best available on the market at the moment is CTEK.
Have used them myself for years now on various cars.
Solves all your problems.

available trough www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk

ronald
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2009 :  11:19:53  Show Profile
Gerhard, I know that you are a pre-war MG enthusiast (and have helped me before) but there is a difference between trickle and automatic chargers in that the latter are able to sense when the battery voltage drops and turn themselves on automatically. My friend has a cunning trick with trickle chargers in that he has one on a timer which only comes on for about 15 minutes per day. Unfortunately this is still enough to burn off electrolyte as opposed to the automatic chargers which have practically no effect on electrolyte levels. The downside is that automatic chargers are relatively expensive but probably still worth their cost!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000