Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA Sump filter nut
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  09:27:00  Show Profile
The nut retaining the sump filter on a PA appears to be about 1.25" BSF with the size across the flats being approx 1.84" (47mm). This is a similar size to the nut retaining the rear spring trunnions. Where do I obtain a socket this size? And do you have to buy a 47mm socket or can you get the Whitworth/BSF size?

Peter

KevinH

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  15:07:46  Show Profile
Peter,
I've always used a very large adjustable spanner for the job, as I don't have any whitworth spanners or sockets large enough.
You might be able to find one at Silverstone as the traders are usually selling BSF/WHIT spanners both new and S/H. Otherwise autojumbles and model engineering shows are worth a try.
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  19:45:06  Show Profile
Hi Peter the rear trunion nut is gynormas 1" 7/8 A/F.Not the sort of sized socket you would use to often. I managed to borrow one along with the 3/8 square drive rench from a friendly garage. The socket alone in the tool shop was ú28 + vat!!

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  20:02:48  Show Profile
I agree that the size is enormus. However the sump filter nut is quite shallow so I am not sure how an adjustable wrench will perform on it. Might be a problem if it is very tight. Guess that I will just have to give it a try. If it is a problem I will have to try to borrow a socket or spanner.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

gb

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  15:10:36  Show Profile
Hi Guy's,
On my F type, I use a pair of Stilsons(?)the type plumbers use. The pair I have will adjust out to about 2.75". The nice thing is that they cover the nut faces without damaging them too much, and also have the advantage of having a handle length of about 12" so giving some useable grunt when needed!

F0993 F1 Tourer
Red, Rough and Running
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
705 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  23:03:04  Show Profile
Peter,

I bought a 1.25" BSF Spanner at a steam rally junk stall - Snail brand and marked up as a Leyland truck tool! Initially I couldn't get the nut undone, but a trick I then used is to use a hot air gun and warm the casting - carefully. Softens any old jointing compound. If using Stilsons (bit if a shudder!), suggext you protect the faces with bits of shim.

John
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  11:26:33  Show Profile
I too have used stilsons on the nut, suitabley protected with brass shimm between the jaws and the nut faces. I intend to hunt out a reasonably priced spanner,either box of open ended,if I have any success I will post. One point which may be of interest, if not already covered in previous mails. The sealing washer behind the nut, I now use Dowty Seals, ( a steel washer with a "O" ring centre section).these seal without undue spanner pressure are clean and can be used again. The size? one and one eigth inch fits perfectly.
Can I ask what is the best tool for undoing the drain plug? I have tried an 1/2" drive without success.
Regards to all.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  13:28:49  Show Profile
I too shuddered at the thought of using a stilson wrench on this brass nut and would prefer a spanner of some sort - socket, box, ring or even OE, if I can find one at reasonable cost. I have a large adjustable spanner which I have not yet tried but expect that it may be too 'sloppy'. I have looked on ebay but not found any success. I did find a 1 1/8" BSF box spanner so getting close! I will look at Silverstone but judging by your replies I may be one of many looking for such a tool.

John - Where do you get your Dowty seals from? I have bought a conventional seal but the Dowty seal sounds ideal.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  16:47:43  Show Profile
Peter, I also shudder at the thought of using a stillson ,but, with carefull application a stilson which grips tight,no slop, and when carefully adjusted and shimmed to prevent the knurled area damaging the nut is perhaps a better solution than an ill fitting spanner or a play inducing adjustable wrench. The sealing washers are also known as Bonded Seals, usually available from agood hydraulic compnent stockist, your local hydraulic pipe maker maybe. If you have any trouble getting hold of them let me know ( e-mail)and I can get them from my "tame" local stockist.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  19:35:54  Show Profile
John

I have just measured the ID of the fibre washer which I bought from Sports & Vintage for the sump filter nut and it is 1 5/8". Are you sure that your Dowty seal is 1 1/8" ?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  19:54:18  Show Profile
Why not make a spanner? All that is required is to file a hexagonal hole of the correct size in a piece of quarter inch plate and then shape the outside, a bit tedious I know but cheaper than buying a big socket and far better than adjustables or stilsons, the thought of which makes me shiver.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  08:30:11  Show Profile
Peter, you are right the i.d of the washer is inch and half, allows it to seal on the threads at one & five eigths, the o.d is just over 2". The inch and one eigth must be the pipe size that the coupling nut fits, hence the suppliers ref size.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  08:44:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cymber

far better than adjustables or stilsons, the thought of which makes me shiver.

Maurice.

I always use a big hammer and a cold chisel.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  10:09:49  Show Profile
Andrew - The perfect solution. Why did I not think of that before. I think that you must have owned my car at some time in the past!

John - I found a very useful web site which explains the dimensions of the Dowty seals. The 1 1/8" which you quote is indeed the BSP size. http://www.hydrasun.com/specification_sheets/EOS01194.pdf

Maurice - I had thought about making a spanner as you suggest. However I can still remember making an A7 exhaust manifold flange out of 3/8" plate forty odd years ago with a 1/4" drill, some rather worn twist drills, a cold chisel and big hammer plus some files. I think that I will spend a few quid on a spanner if I can find one. If not I will use a stilson with suitable shims to protect the nut.

Thanks for all your input,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Bodger

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2005 :  19:31:54  Show Profile
Due to a purchase on a secondhand tool stall I now have a spare 1 7/8" socket (3/4" drive) if anyone will pay me ú10 for it.

Jonathan Welch
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2005 :  19:58:00  Show Profile
Jonathan

Too late for me unfortunately as I have just paid ú16 for a new one this past week. The pricing is strange because I also bought a new 50mm socket for ú8. Both of them 3/4" drive.

Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000