Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 VSCC 75th anniversary celebrations.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  12:14:59  Show Profile
Ron Gammons' post here, in reaction to my earlier ones, is both fair and reasonable... and from the MGCC's perspective I can see the points he is making and I would hope others will as well (including MG MMM owners who may have taken a far more aggressive line than I have). There are explanations and reasons from any event which highlights decisions taken to address problems and issues around organisational difficulties and Ron has put those facts down well.
Having said that I would offer that a poll of Triple-M competitors would still support my earlier assertion that the annual Kimber Trophy Race (and related annual MGCC competitive activity such as the Sunday Sprint) increasing face resistance from potential Triple-M competitors. If that is correct, one needs to ask why. While it is fine to say that they Club is supportive, I do not feel that is going to actually encourage more cars to turn out. Not unless the MGCC does more.
MG Silverstone suffers perhaps from lack of support as it is a one off event in a world where Triple-M competitors increasingly have alternatives and options for more regular competition including the VSCC, MRL, Peter Auto, etc. Ron and his other largely volunteer colleagues should not be overly criticized but the problem at the competitive level is only going to get worse for the MGCC unless further incentive is provided. Peter GreenÆs efforts certainly help, as I believe my 14 telephone calls and emails in the run up to Silverstone did both to attract additional racers and to encourage cars to stay over and participate in the Sunday Sprint event. Going forward I feel that unless the Club goes further than just balancing all the varied interests the result will be fewer and fewer Triple-M cars ôchoosingö to participate in the annual MGCC event. If you have 40 cars on a grid you can draw the conclusion that you are doing some things right, if you have 18 cars and face the prospect of fewer year by year you perhaps need to do more... unless of course you believe it a lost cause. I for one would like to see what can be done to get us back to 30 cars in the Kimber Trophy Race.

Peter Fenichel

Edited by - peterfenichel on 13/08/2009 12:18:43
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  13:07:16  Show Profile
Peter - you can count me in for next years MMM race.... if I ever get the b***dy thing finished
Adrian.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  14:46:06  Show Profile
Peter,

The first thing we have got to do is persuade more Triple-M owners to get a race licence because I doubt that there are 30 owners æout thereÆ that have them at the present time. I am sure there are some younger members and possibly some older ones who would like to æhave a goÆ at racing but are put off by the initial cost, as you and I know getting started in racing is not cheap, it is not like the ægood old daysÆ when you just turned up at a race meeting put on a helmet and went out to race.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  15:22:50  Show Profile
Peters right cost, the course and license is an inital deterent and I havent seen 30 cars and drivers out there ready to race. As a realtively young new comer, having started last year I decided to try hills and sprints first to test the water. license being ~ú30 and simply a form to fill in. I m now hooked on these events but I m still a little nervous to start racing having never really been on a circuit with company! I think its a combiniation of cost, training, risk, young family, car set up etc. There is also a perception that track racing is simply a little more serious on all fronts than belting up a hill on our own against the clock. I think my father gave up racing due to a number of these reasons and I dont think I have the full backing from my chief mechanic just yet...Dads cars were always built specifically for racing, the PB was not. I m working on it chaps as I would love to join the MMM grid in the PB one day. Many of these reasons are personel to me but I still think if we can get more people out at sprints and hills it will provide the perfect stepping stone for track racing. Very social too!
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  18:21:18  Show Profile
All good points and it is obvious that an effort to attract new racers with Triple-M cars is a good idea. But that was really not what I was trying to get at... my point was to direct efforts to known race drivers who, by choice, have not come out for this year's race (in fact have not participated in the past few annual MGCC Triple-M races). To say 30 possible may be too ambitious but we had 23 in 2006 at the VSCC Triple-M race and I am aware of at least 4 additional cars that could participate if the entrants were better motivated. Of course Peter Green is correct to point out that several racers have since retired but there are also new competitors who currently do not support the Kimber Trophy event.

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  08:14:06  Show Profile
I too am in much the same position as Mark - young family = much diminished racing budget!
How about the register organising an informal track day at a circuit like Mallory Park? Good location in the Midlands, easy to learn circuit with a nice atmosphere...I'm sure a day here would result in a few people getting 'bitten' by the racing bug
Go to Top of Page

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  11:50:33  Show Profile
I too am a younger member, with young family (& older chief mechanic!). The intention is to be out there competing, but time and funds (not to mention limted mechanical ability!) are my limiting factors. If we can finish the car this year then I would hope to be sprinting & hill climbing next year. (M Type). Unfortunately I've discovered that the car does not finish rebuilding itself when left alone in the garage :(
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  12:04:33  Show Profile
Great news Tom, look fwd to you joining us. Frank Ashley and Roger glister are the other 2 M type regulars at Hills and Sprints. Drop me a line if you would like any advise help getting set up. Good luck with the rebuild!
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2009 :  22:13:34  Show Profile
Moving slightly off the original topic but following the thread comments re. lack of MMM "racers" at Silverstone & elsewhere and the problems of the younger budding racer I venture the following for comment.
1 Entry costs for many race events are quite high on top of the necessary preparation,travel & maybe accomodation costs. I know many will say if you can't afford it don't do it but this is somewhat negative when one of our Register aims is to encourage participation and if perpetuated will lead to our cars ending up in museums & concours - nothing against these but not exactly the best way to see a MMM car in ernest action.

2. Of course entry fees & other incomes must cover the event costs, if they don't it is the quickest way to the demise of the Club. Subsidy by increasing membership fees would bring a howl of protest claiming that it would only benefit the few.

3. Having got to the event our MMM racer having spent the families monthly budget (plus) may well find that his trusty steed on which much time & money has been spent will not pull the proverbial skin of a rice pudding - an expensive and bad tasting pudding !

4. Which brings me to the point made by Adrian about informal track day/ hill climb day / sprint day giving the opportunity for racers to sort out both the car and themselves with experts on hand to guide & advise.

5. My guess is that the costs associated with hiring a venue together with any insurance and back-up services etc. would be beyond the Register's finances or if attempted would raise the question of only a few benefiting. Although it must be acknowledged that all MMM have enless sources of information & help via the web site at no cost

6. I wonder if a "day" open to all Registers and Centres - appreciate have to watch that there is a wide variety of cars and expertise which would require some regulation but by spreading the costs and removing the competitive edge it may encourage the new & maybe not so new racers to have a go to the benefit of future grid sizes. Some Trade sponorship may be forthcoming and modest entry fees would help towards the inevitable necessary costs.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

phil

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  11:46:11  Show Profile
Hi, I have always wanted to 'have a go' on a track.
I must admit the PB was never my intend car of choice.
I would love to have a go, but for the obvious finacial aspect stopping me.
I have however put up all our tennets rents to try and make some cash for the future. Unfortunatly, I am stuck here with my elderly Father and would be impossible to atend any events. One day though, I hope to have the PB out there, it is more than a dream.
It took me 8 yrs to sort the PB due to limited finace but now find myself in the situation where Dad cant get in or out of the PB and only makes him jealous if I take it out for a spin. (dvla cancelled him 2 weeks b4 it passed MOT).
So winge aside, one day. I promise to add at least 1 extra car to the grid.
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  11:57:41  Show Profile
Regarding "McEvoy's" recent posting:

For a number of years, the 'T' Register has paid for the wine at the 'T' Racer's annual dinner. We also present a bottle of champagne to the winner of the S/Stone 'T' race.

You could argue that this is a subsidy - but both gestures are much appreciated by the racers and in my opinion are a worthwhile 'thank you' for the pleasure they give to the spectators.

As regards track days, don't forget MGs on Track, which is a Branch of the MG Car Club.

JOHN JAMES
Go to Top of Page

ajc

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  11:55:44  Show Profile
Interesting reading.....after a off-on year due to various issues, I do have an ARDS course under my belt, done in 2008, though opted for the ú40 license rather than a full race one due to current finances due to above issues...ie injury.......

My first outing, all being well, will be this coming saturday, so yes there will be another MMM out and about. It is just about ready to go and yes it is race prepared.....so a sprint or three will get me going, though one can always book a test day at a track even if you only have a national B license. These test days are different to track days which are open to the general public.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000