Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 N/K3 special - reasonable estimate?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Martins MG

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  12:24:21  Show Profile
I see this N/K3 special is advertised for sale on the Barry Walker page in the current issue of Safety Fast!
is this a reasonable estimate??

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  15:13:48  Show Profile
Hi there,
The description of this car is somewhat over-egged.
It was not built up by Wilkie Wilkinson, at least not the one I knew: there is no way anyone would have undertaken this sort of work pre-war, when new K-type chassis frames were available from the factory at a fraction of the cost of "converting" an N-type frame.
The car is, I believe, one of a series built by Peter Gregory using N-type identities from scrapped cars, and will have been built to his high standard. Those I have seen all had brand-new chassis frames, rather than converted N-type ones.
As to value, this is what the buyer is prepared to pay, in which it must be borne in mind how much it would cost to build up now from scratch, and what wear has taken place since the original build.
As ever "caveat emptor" applies!
Mike
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  16:54:20  Show Profile
What was the úú asking price?

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  22:22:22  Show Profile
110.000 thousand pounds
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  22:55:05  Show Profile

Barry Walker's advert in 'The Automobile' does not say that the car was built BY Bellevue but 'TO the Wilkie Wilkinson / Bellvue Garage 1930's modification.....'

No doubt the experts can say if the spec. was associated with Bellevue pre-war.

What is the Register entry for MG 3701 (indistinct on picture)?

Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  23:49:10  Show Profile
Bob,

Despite what might be claimed the car is not built 'to Wilkie Wilkinson / Bellvue Garage 1930's modification....' . The car is not on the Register at present so there is no Register entry for it.

Peter, the asking price is ú110,000 on Barry Walker's website.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2009 :  14:41:29  Show Profile
As most will know I run a K Special (K1/s to K3 specification) and I would certainly be very well pleased indeed if my car would attract ú110,000!! And, I would offer that my car has a considerable track record if one wants to go racing in a Sportscar (or easily modify back to more regular road use).
The only thing to add is perhaps this car is being priced for a Eurpean buyer in Euros, where the FX conversion today at ú110,000 looks less costly than it would have a year or so ago... just the product of a very weak UKú.

Peter Fenichel

Edited by - peterfenichel on 22/10/2009 14:43:51
Go to Top of Page

Martins MG

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  14:39:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by peterfenichel

As most will know I run a K Special (K1/s to K3 specification) and I would certainly be very well pleased indeed if my car would attract ú110,000!! And, I would offer that my car has a considerable track record if one wants to go racing in a Sportscar (or easily modify back to more regular road use).
The only thing to add is perhaps this car is being priced for a Eurpean buyer in Euros, where the FX conversion today at ú110,000 looks less costly than it would have a year or so ago... just the product of a very weak UKú.

Peter Fenichel

Thanx everyone. So, Peter, you say you would be very pleased if your car would attract ú110.000. But, presumably, your car has its original 1933 chassis, so it is a real 1933 MG with its history and provenance. By contrast, Mike Allison says he believes that the car for sale is one of a series built by Peter Gregory on brand new chassis using N type identities from scrapped cars. So what does that make them? Does the MG CC have a policy on accepting cars like this? Is there a 3 out of 5 rule? What does the Bugatti Club do about new-build Bugattis? Is Peter Gregory making any more cars like this and are they being recorded and tracked? Thanx.
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  17:00:04  Show Profile
Off the subject but... Peter Gregory passed away recently.

On the subject... I think you should ask Bob Clare or Peter Green the question of whether the Register looks at "replacement chassis" quite carefully enough or just whether the chassis has the original chassis plate. I can easily believe that as prices for our MMM cars rose over the years there was the temptation to take known previously scrapped cars (or cars that had not been seen for many years and were presumed lost) and assign some "name / number" to what is obviously just pieces of metal made to a certain known specification.

There have been recent cases where the Register did "decline" a registration number for a car built that did not have an original chassis.

In the case of my car it is even more complicated in that mine is a matching number K1 now supercharged and with other K3 specs added. So in other words a K3 replica (or as some prefer facsimilie or reproduction). What I do know is that it would cost a fair amount to build up my car today, it is great fun to drive and race... but honestly for maybe some price I would sell it.

As a racer I would rather have my car at ú110,000 than a MMM road car with questionable history at that price point. But that's just me!

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000