Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J4 Sale via eBay
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  10:51:49  Show Profile
Does anyone know the result of the J4 sale on eBay which ended yesterday?

Peter Fenichel

phil

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  11:56:07  Show Profile
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1933-M-G-J4-J4003-Pre-war-MG-MMM_W0QQitemZ200368618023QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item2ea6e67a27&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  12:08:21  Show Profile
Phil... thanks for that. Awfully good price for a very nice car! One wonders whether eBay was the best format for this sale. Any views?

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  12:48:25  Show Profile
It is interesting that the winning bid was from someone with limited ebay activity and no positive feedback. Thus, did the car really sell? That is a problem with ebay. The next highest bid , which I believe was only 100 pounds less, seemed to be from someone with 100% feedback, but as I underestand the rules, if the high bid does not turn out to be genuine, the second high bid has the option (if offered) to buy or not.
Anyone know who these bids came from?

Lovely car, wish I had the pocketbook.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  13:07:09  Show Profile
Really lovely car... which was at MG Silverstone a few weeks ago. Interesting decision to use eBay rather than auction or dealer sale routes. I would have thought a car with this history better sold via a more careful, albeit more drawn out, process. I do hope the new owner doesn't just flip the car via an alternative sales route and anyway cars with this background with a sales price fixed in UKú are often going to Europe these days with our Continental friends holding a significant currency advantage. On another level it would be a shame if this car doesn't see continued competitve use.

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1641 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  14:11:19  Show Profile
I agree with Peter that E Bay is a very odd place to sell an historic car. The end price probably reflects that - it is in my humble opinion substantially less than the true value of an original J4.

TH
Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  08:10:50  Show Profile
I agree that E Bay is a strange place to sell this historic car.
But doesn't the true value for this J4 lies within the historical importance of this car.
The result seemed to low to me, but in the end no one was prepared to pay more . Maybe the realised price reflects a more realistic value in terms of money than the sometimes absurd amounts asked for our cars in the trade.

Regards.
Halbe Tjepkema
Go to Top of Page

doctorbob

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  09:24:58  Show Profile
Out of curiosity what sort of price would such a car be expected to achieve if sold in more appropriate way?
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  17:47:19  Show Profile
Perhaps above ú100,000. Just my personal view and as another forum member said... I too wish I had the pocketbook!

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3246 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  19:58:29  Show Profile
Given the history and rarity I would have thought ú100,000 would be a fair estimate, this is "cheap" when compared to the prices achieved for genuine K3's and ú80/90,000 for those K3 replicas based on K type chassis.

I too would love to be able to buy the car!

George Eagle
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1641 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  22:47:29  Show Profile
George and Peter I am sure that if a J4 with a clear unquestionable history and stamped chassis number and brass identification plate was carefully marketed that it would demand in excess of the figures you mention !

TH
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  11:38:10  Show Profile
I agree and it will be of some interest to see if this car emerges and is ultimately purchased. I for one would just like to see the car out being used competitively.

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  12:08:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by George Eagle

Given the history and rarity I would have thought ú100,000 would be a fair estimate, this is "cheap" when compared to the prices achieved for genuine K3's and ú80/90,000 for those K3 replicas based on K type chassis.

I too would love to be able to buy the car!

George Eagle

Maybe the replica's are overpriced at the moment no matter what they might cost to build
I know what i would rather like to own .

Regards,
Halbe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000