Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P Type Starting Handle Stowage.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  21:15:43  Show Profile
A drawing on Barry Walker's website shows the handle stowed on the vertical paned behind the seat and Peter Down's drawing of the firewall layout shows bolt positions for three clips on the rear face of the firewall. My late PA's original firewall is long gone and the only evidence I have is one clip with the remains of aluminium paint on it which suggests this is where my handle was. Is this a case of the position having changed and if so which came first?
Also, are all three clips the same or is there a larger one for the handle of the handle?

Maurice Blakey PA 2032

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2165 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  23:30:41  Show Profile
I have heard this mentioned before but for the late J types and maybe the early J types, these were mounted on the rear face of the firewall. Were the P types the same?

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3683 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  16:22:28  Show Profile
My PA certainly had clips on the rear face of the firewall. Some of them were sort of half moon support brackets for the rod while the clip for the handle end was a conventional terry-type clip

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  20:19:56  Show Profile
I think you will find that P type 2 seaters had the clips for the starting handle on the firewall. However, the P 4 seater had the clips on the transom panel because the 4 seater had the tool box in the way where the starting handle was on the 2 seater. Also it would be more awkward to get at the rear transom panel on a 2 seater because the 2 seater originally had a bench seat and the side screens on the back of the seat back which of course the 4 seater does not haveąą CanĘt tell you about J typesą.. Terry
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  13:02:03  Show Profile
Not too sure Terry is right about that. PA 1048 was a 4 seater, retains its toolbox but also has the starting handle mounted on the rear of the firewall. Not a problem for the driver but the passenger can kick the crank end and dislodge the thing if panicked by my driving!

The car also retains the original rear transom panel but there don't seem to be any signs that clips were mounted there.

We may of course have another case of random design variation so beloved of MG both ancient & modern (witness the MGF hood variations!!). Perhaps they did this sort of thing deliberately to give future owners some topics to discuss on web-site fori?

Just joking

Bob Clare
Go to Top of Page

David Griffiths

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  19:22:45  Show Profile
My PA four seater PA1801 has its original body and the handle is mounted on the rear face of the firewall as described above ie two half moon clips for the shaft and a terry clip for the handle crank above the passenger foot slope

David
Go to Top of Page

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
232 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  21:24:19  Show Profile
To close the matter of the stowage position of the 'P' series crank handle, I have checked the original factory drawing in my possession of the 'P' type firewall (does not differentiate between 2 & 4 seaters so believe therefore the same) and I can assure all members that the handle was stowed via 3 clips on the firewall, on the cabin side with the handle portion above the passenger foot rest.
When I wrote the original catalogue in 1991 I did not have the definitive information to hand and we got it wrong. Sorry to those that now have to move their handle. C/handles for all MMMs have just come in again if any body wants one.
Go to Top of Page

phil

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  21:25:31  Show Profile
hi brian, like your comment.
on the doc downloads is a 'ptype' firewall diagram in pdf. last page shows starting handle clips on firewall.
BUT
It only says 'p-type' this is not clear enough and i demand an answer!
Sorry only joking. (nick, what a job u have)
And just on the topic, why not add a debating section (no didnt mean it)

PS,Brian....
I have a relative somewhere called 'brian watson' from manchester i think. U dont live in manchester do you???
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  23:18:56  Show Profile
The factory was never concerned with originality. So don't ever discount anything which appears to be original on any given car.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  20:04:51  Show Profile
I agree with Lew. This is what I like about MGĘsą. you can never say never as the factory was just interested in getting the cars built and sold for survival. The Factory did not think 75+ years on a bunch of people from around would be interested in such things. Whilst many have come back with just the one position of the starting handle on the 2 & 4 seaters. I am happy to except that you have examples of this but I have seen it like I described.

I have just come back from viewing an ō originalö very late NB 4 seaterą.BUT it has the narrow very early NA body (and no spacers) with the early NA bonnet i.e. before NA 0442. I suspect the factory used up some old parts so that this style is out of sequence from everything else I have seen to date. So change over points can be difficult and varied.

The previous ōThreadö on the N 2 seater starting handle contradicted the Factory Documentation as to itĘs location. Again not the first time the documentation does not align with reality. So all I will say is keep an open mind and go on what you see and do not jump to conclusions. I was wrong on the Silver Paint Bulkhead issue so I could be wrong on this ? Regardsą. Terry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000